Frizzle Cochin Bantams

I am glad I read about this on here. I am also getting into the Frizzle Cochin Bantams and wanting to breed. Right now I have one pair of smooth coated Cochins and one Frizzle rooster. But I am going to a flea market in Ohio next weekend and am going to pick up two more smooth coated Cochins and two more Frizzle hens also going to pick me up a Polish Bantam pair. I need to go ahead and put my smooth coated Cochin hen with my Frizzle rooster correct? then when I get Frizzle hens put them with my smooth coated rooster??? I am going to make split trio smooth Cochin rooster with a Frizzle hens and Frizzle rooster with smooth Cochin hens I would have never new better I love Frizzle Bantams.

Thanks you all on this important information on this because I also didn't know about this.

When buying breeders buy hens from one source and roosters from another. Buying from same breeder(especially flea markets and craigslist) can end up breeding related birds. the chicks come out deformed

Exerpt taken from: Chicken Genes of Common Interest-
"Incompletely dominant. The action of the frizzle gene is localized in the feather follicle. It causes a structure abnormality in the feather and abnormalities of internal organs (enlarged heart, spleen, gizzard and alimentary canal) are common." A chicken with wings that cannot function at all.
Had I known this I would not have bought my poor lil Frizzle, He is so sad & pathetic it breaks my heart. This is a breed that no matter how cute SOME are - they cannot have a pleasant life. He can't fly even to get up on the 2 ft roost, so roosts on the ground beneath the rest of the flock in order to be close- which puts him in the line of fire from chicken plops from the others. He has big bald spots I can find no cure for. I sold the ones that were abusing him, but they didnt cause the baldness under his wings. I wholeheartedly wish that this bird no longer be bred at all, It is horribly cruel to subject any lifeto endure the way they live. Its like deliberately breeding a dog with 2 legs.

For what its worth, if you end up with a frazzle, you can breed it. Bred to a smooth, a frazzle will produce all frizzles.

Also, splash x splash will not give blue, you will get all splash.

Black x black= all black
Black x blue= 50% black, 50% blue
Blue x blue= 25% black, 25% splash, 50% blue
Blue x splash= 50% blue, 50% splash
Black x splash= 100% blue
Splash x splash= 100% splash.

Of course the estimates will be off if you hatch small clutches and there could be surprises if you don't know the genetics behind your birds.

:)

My Frizzle rooster he is beautiful and so far he has been in good health no bald spots or anything. I did put him with the black Cochin I bought and she laid eggs but would not sit on them to hatch them off. Thinking of picking up some more cochin hens when I get back to the Ohio flea market this fall no one around where I live in WV sales these kind of Bantams. But I am hoping maybe I can end up with a good cochin hen that will bring off some baby frizzles on her own. I may end up having to incubate them or put them up under on of my Silkie hens. my silkie hens will sit on eggs of any kind and bring them off they are good hens for bringing off eggs.

I raise frizzles and always breed smooth to frizzle, If you breed two frizzles the feathers are brittle and not attractive.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom