Frizzle thread

. . . ..well guys im still dont know if she or he, now i think is a she , her or his color is only one color , roosters most of the time have more colors, tell me what do you think
It's now a month older than last time you posted a picture and I'll change my guess from rooster to pullet. At almost four months of age the comb would be bigger and redder if it were a rooster. Nothing about the plumage looks rooster to me-It's a pullet.

Any one with frizzle houdans? I haven 2, checkers and Pippin :)

When these two birds were paired together the resulting chicks were as below.

Silkied frizzle (as shown), frizzle, silkied, and smooth. From my reading, silkied is recessive, so apparently my frizzle rooster has the hidden silkied gene or silkied is not recessive. These chicks came as a surprise as I expected frizzle and smooth feathers.

A poor picture. This pullet is a frazzle. Note the eye-she was blind in one eye at hatching. Her feathering is a bit thin but soft and pliant. She is quite attractive (which the picture does not show well).

Has anyone ever hatched eggs from a frazzle??? I wonder what the results would be???With a blind eye, I do not intend to breed this one.

I believe I read that a frazzle will produce 100% frizzled when bred to anything. I haven't tested it as I don't have frazzled since seeing what they end up looking like. My one we kept was almost totally naked all summer. I bought two from a breeder thinking they were frizzled when I didn't know better. He also sold me lots of roosters too. It makes you learn things fast.

I believe I read that a frazzle will produce 100% frizzled when bred to anything. I haven't tested it as I don't have frazzled since seeing what they end up looking like. My one we kept was almost totally naked all summer. I bought two from a breeder thinking they were frizzled when I didn't know better. He also sold me lots of roosters too. It makes you learn things fast.
100% frizzle when bred to anything is what I would expect in that every chick would get the frizzle gene as that is all a frazzle has to pass on to their offspring. The assumption is that my pullet is a frazzle, but... not having the technology to actually study the pullets genes it is possible she is a poor quality frizzle with the eye being damaged during the hatching process.

It is most unfortunate that so many people are willing to deceive just to make a buck or eliminate unwanted stock.

My wife (another bird nut) wants to breed our frazzle to see the results. ...to see if the eye imperfection passes on and if all the chicks would be frizzle. I am not comfortable with that idea. We'll see.

Thank you for the response.

I might try breeding it to an unrelated bird, must be a wife thing. Your other birds are gorgeous. I now see why you would heat your coop. They are very cute.

I might try breeding it to an unrelated bird, must be a wife thing. Your other birds are gorgeous. I now see why you would heat your coop. They are very cute.
Thank you. Moving to TN meant giving up my insulated garage coop that was easy to heat. The coop I am stuck with at the moment is not insulated. Heat lamps do little as far as heating the whole coop, but they do provide a space for the birds to go when temps go down. So far so good. The flock is healthy, laying eggs, brooding, and hatching chicks; even while it's winter,

Gorgeous-cute-thanks again. My flock is getting better with each generation (4th generation now). I have many I will have pictures taken of that are so much better than what I started with. I am pleased with the improvements I see as time goes by. Someone asked why I don't just buy better stock. Where's the fun in that? It's much more satisfying to turn a pig's ear into a silk purse. They may not be show birds but they make me happy. Show birds??? Maybe way in the future.

Back
Top Bottom