Frizzle thread

Pics
There is no such thing as a smooth frizzle. A chicken is either smooth or it is frizzled. Some people think that a smooth chicken can carry a recessive frizzle gene. That is not correct because the frizzle gene is dominant. So if a chicken has the frizzle gene, then they will have frizzled feathers. If they do not have the frizzle gene, then they will be smooth feathered and will not be able to produce frizzled chicks unless bred to a frizzled chicken. Even then you only have a 50/50 chance of having frizzled chicks.

Regarding your chick, it looks like a very pretty Easter Egger to me that is just a little smaller than the others. It happens sometimes. He/she may catch up with the other chicks or may be smaller all its life. Either way, he/she is very pretty.

There is no such thing as a smooth frizzle.  A chicken is either smooth or it is frizzled.   Some people think that a smooth chicken can carry a recessive frizzle gene.  That is not correct because the frizzle gene is dominant.  So if a chicken has the frizzle gene, then they will have frizzled feathers.  If they do not have the frizzle gene, then they will be smooth feathered and will not be able to produce frizzled chicks unless bred to a frizzled chicken.  Even then you only have a 50/50 chance of having frizzled chicks.

Regarding your chick, it looks like a very pretty Easter Egger to me that is just a little smaller than the others.  It happens sometimes.  He/she may catch up with the other chicks or may be smaller all its life.  Either way, he/she is very pretty.

Some new pullet's from a buddies "farm". The grey one with the black head is mine and the lavender and black/white he just sold a lady today.

Love all the new frizzles people are getting! Since I have new frizzles too, I'm full of questions now about how to care for them and I hope some of ya'll will answer for me.

We want to move them to their big tractor pen this weekend. How high should the roosts be so that they can jump up on it and jump down easily since they don't have much lift with their feathers? Or will they need a walkup ramp to get to their roosts?

How long do I need to keep a heat light on for them to keep warm? I am thinking that once they start roosting every night, I could take the heat lamp out. Right or Wrong?

Thats all for now. Thanks for any help ya'll can give me.

Rose66

Back
Top Bottom