Frizzle thread

Pics
hi I am looking for 3 frizzle hens and of different color I live in town and can not have roosters I have 7 hens now of different breeds and love having them as pets and for eggs . My chicks are spoiled and I want to add Frizzles to my ladies. Can you help?

thanks
Pat MIller

Question? Do all frizzles( silkies , sizzels) have five toes on each foot and blue skin? And also, is it at possible to get a frizzle chick from two smooth chickens, with not trace Of the frizzle gene? My understanding is no.

Question? Do all frizzles( silkies , sizzels) have five toes on each foot and blue skin? And also, is it at possible to get a frizzle chick from two smooth chickens, with not trace Of the frizzle gene? My understanding is no.
No; frizzle can occur (and is recognized) in ALL breeds by both APA and ABA. Birds must meet breed standards, which for all but 5 breeds are 4 toes. Frizzled silkies and sizzles should have 5 toes per THEIR breed standard.

In general, a non-frizzled bird does not possess the frizzled gene as it is dominant, and will show. HOWEVER, there is a frizzle modifier gene that is recessive and UNFRIZZLES the feathers. A heterozygous (one copy) frizzle with two copies of the modifier gene will appear non-frizzled, and can (50% chance) pass the frizzle gene to its offspring. It will also pass a copy of the modifier gene.

No; frizzle can occur (and is recognized) in ALL breeds by both APA and ABA.  Birds must meet breed standards, which for all but 5 breeds are 4 toes.  Frizzled silkies and sizzles should have 5 toes per THEIR breed standard.

In general, a non-frizzled bird does not possess the frizzled gene as it is dominant, and will show.  HOWEVER, there is a frizzle modifier gene that is recessive and UNFRIZZLES the feathers.  A heterozygous (one copy) frizzle with two copies of the modifier gene will appear non-frizzled, and can (50% chance) pass the frizzle gene to its offspring.  It will also pass a copy of the modifier gene.

Thanks for the information, the frizzle gene can be confusing! :)

KiKi is now just shy of 6 months old ... how could you not love that cute little face!
wink.png

Shake, shake, shake ... Shake, shake, shake .....

"Ah .. Grasshopper!"

Back
Top Bottom