Funniest Things A City Slicker Has Ever Said To You?

My Swiss neighbor used her goose eggs. She said they were much "richer" than chicken eggs. Maybe duck eggs are, too.
I had a friend that would use his duck eggs for baking cakes. Those cakes were so rich and velvety. A neighbor's dog broke in and killed all his birds. He would still bring in fresh baked cakes but they were just not the same. I think the Turkey eggs that I have been using do seem richer then a chicken egg. I think the Duck eggs were more rich then the turkey eggs....but that was a long time ago. I am not sure...
Hay Hennotrooster, I live in California.. about 45 mins from LA. We have raised pigs and a lamb last year. They were delicious. The turkey we raised, last year, was the best thanksgiving turkey we ever had. We plan to do it again this year. So, there is some hope for us Californians. Though your fresh fish sounds amazing. It amazes some of my cousins that we raise and grow things. My family had done the migrant worker thing but just a generation or two out and we forget everything. My mom hated the chickens when she was little. She did not want to eat the eggs, Now she is having fun with all this. You would think that with how we want organic everything people will become more used to this. We can hope.

So I see that turkey/duck eggs are used for baking how about for breakfast, are they used this way as well? This is my clueless question. Over easy, scrambled,boiled etc.

My husband has been talking about trying to raise turkey or two now do they like chickens lay daily and do they need or not need a male to do so?

So I see that turkey/duck eggs are used for baking how about for breakfast, are they used this way as well? This is my clueless question. Over easy, scrambled,boiled etc.

My husband has been talking about trying to raise turkey or two now do they like chickens lay daily and do they need or not need a male to do so?
Had some for breakfast a few times. Over easy, omelets, scrambled.... all good. They are just larger.

I only have 1 Royal Palm turkey hen. One tom we had for Thanksgiving was very tasty but they are smaller then the Broad-breasted that you normally see on the table. The other 2 birds I had were killed by a neighbor's dog. My one turkey hen has been laying everyday for over 2 weeks. From what I heard they normally don't lay as many eggs as a chicken but mine is doing very good. Then again she is young. She is about 10 months old. Next year she should lay less eggs.
If you get chicks be careful... Some people want to give them chick starter mash and they need Turkey starter mash. It is higher in protein then the chick mash. It is a little more expensive but with the other they will just starve to death. My chicken chicks liked it a lot as well. I want to get some broad-breasted turkey chicks this year. The tom we had only dressed out to 11 lbs... he was just way to tasty and we wanted more meat.

No kidding. I am so thrilled that I found this site. Don't know what I would have done without it. Good Luck with your birds. And good luck with turkeys. Wow was it a big difference when we had that fresh bird for dinner.

Those must come from the same place as "store milk" grandparents had a small farm when I was a kid and every summer we got shipped well I had money for "store milk" because that stuff out of the cow was not milk. It did not look or tasted the same and grandma made all kinds of stuff with it like not butter and not cheese and a lot of other not really food things. Hey I grew up in Los Angeles what did I know even though we spent the summers at the farm it never clicked till I was much older. I sure missed a lot of good milk and other not really food things.
smack.gif

By the way the picture is of Hawk Creek outside of Davenport WA. Caught some really nice trout there and some fish with teeth. May be from CA but I do where the good fishing is.

Similar one.
My sister and her DH were driving down the road. She saw a herd of cattle and said, "Look at all the cows!" Her DH looked at her and said,"Those are not cows they are steers." She then wanted to know the difference!
Still give her flak over her "cows".

Lol.. I live out in the middle of beef cattle country...
All of the ranchers out here refer to their cattle as "cows" unless they are talking about a particular bull
They go out to feed the "cows".. take the "cows" to slaughter or auction..
Go feed the "cows" and buy food for the "cows"

One old guy occasionally calls his "beef".. but for the most part all of them are "cows" to the ranchers
So your sister wouldn't get laughed at here

Had some for breakfast a few times. Over easy, omelets, scrambled.... all good. They are just larger.

I only have 1 Royal Palm turkey hen. One tom we had for Thanksgiving was very tasty but they are smaller then the Broad-breasted that you normally see on the table. The other 2 birds I had were killed by a neighbor's dog. My one turkey hen has been laying everyday for over 2 weeks. From what I heard they normally don't lay as many eggs as a chicken but mine is doing very good. Then again she is young. She is about 10 months old. Next year she should lay less eggs.
If you get chicks be careful... Some people want to give them chick starter mash and they need Turkey starter mash. It is higher in protein then the chick mash. It is a little more expensive but with the other they will just starve to death. My chicken chicks liked it a lot as well. I want to get some broad-breasted turkey chicks this year. The tom we had only dressed out to 11 lbs... he was just way to tasty and we wanted more meat.

Uhm... no.. Poults won't starve to death on chick starter.. they just won't grow as fast and may have issues with their legs if it isn't high enough in Niacin...
They grow faster and heavier on a turkey starter or a game bird starter (since turkey starter isn't available in all areas)... but they certainly won't starve to death on chick starter.. so I don't know who told you that they would.. but they were wrong

Our turkey hens are due to start laying soon...
droolin.gif

I'll also need to fire up the bator for this years batch of poults

Last edited:
Really thanks. I get way to much info and sometimes it is hard to sift throw it all. Then when my friend lost 3 of her turkey chicks and had to start over... it sounded right, Thanks for the info. I won't stress to much when I get new turkey chicks... Though I will get them the turkey starter.

Really thanks. I get way to much info and sometimes it is hard to sift throw it all. Then when my friend lost 3 of her turkey chicks and had to start over... it sounded right, Thanks for the info. I won't stress to much when I get new turkey chicks... Though I will get them the turkey starter.

Your biggest loss of turkey poults would be from 1 of 2 things... either they starve to death (even if they have plenty of food right in front of them) because they don't know how to eat ... They are not nearly as bright as chickens when it comes to learning what food is.
or
because they got damp / wet and chilled.. chilling will kill a turkey poult within a few hours.

I always start my poults with marbles in their food and water.. they like to peck at shiny things.. so the marbles get their attention. the other thing you can try is floating some chopped kale on their water and putting some on top of their food to encourage them to peck at it. I prefer the marbles because they can't swallow them and they are easy to clean and re-use.

i have used "turkey trainers" which are a few chicks added to the brooder of turkeys to help train them to eat.. they watch the chicks and do what they do.

Have you ever heard the old saying about how turkeys are so dumb that when it rains and a rain drop hits them on the head they will look up and drown?.. it's not drowning that kills them.. it's getting wet and chilled that does it.

Back
Top Bottom