Funniest Things A City Slicker Has Ever Said To You?

I bet those neighbors now know to explain to ANYONE that is coming by to do a favor, to leave a list (if not actually do a walk-thru) of what to feed, where feed is located, and don't forget to include any instructions on the watering system, what looks like a healthy animal and what to do if you think somethings wrong (call owner or call vet). It's like telling the babysitter where the bottles of milk is or how to properly fix the bottle (warm prefixed bottles or make them? boil water? jugs of nursery water? Ok to use the tap? etc. etc. ).

CG

I don't expect anyone with no farm type knowledge to know the difference between hay and straw. Much less Timothy vs alfalfa hay or barley vs wheat straw or corn stalk bedding. Of course when I spend time in the city, there ate little things I don't know either.

I bet those neighbors now know to explain to ANYONE that is coming by to do a favor, to leave a list (if not actually do a walk-thru) of what to feed, where feed is located, and don't forget to include any instructions on the watering system, what looks like a healthy animal and what to do if you think somethings wrong (call owner or call vet). It's like telling the babysitter where the bottles of milk is or how to properly fix the bottle (warm prefixed bottles or make them? boil water? jugs of nursery water? Ok to use the tap? etc. etc. ).

CG
They did do a walk-through of the barn...I didn't mention that part.

Last edited:
I don't expect anyone with no farm type knowledge to know the difference between hay and straw. Much less Timothy vs alfalfa hay or barley vs wheat straw or corn stalk bedding. Of course when I spend time in the city, there ate little things I don't know either.
I agree with you but if they were unsure of what to feed them they should have called to ask what to feed the sheep....And I think they would have noticed the big pile of straw in the sheep pen....and figured out that they were feeding the sheep the wrong food!!
smile.png

My mom isn't a city slicker, but she has her moments:

"Have you noticed Hershey walking around?" She asked.

"Um... no...." I said uncertainly.

"She's been sitting in the nest box weirdly, I think she hurt her back."

I automatically jammed my feet into flip flops, grabbed my coat, and raced into the 20 degree weather. as it turns out, Hershey was broody.

When I told her this, and explained what that was, her responce was: "Why don't we put her in a box with the new chicks when they come?"
th.gif
Why not let Hershey raise the chicks? I know some people on here who have had hens foster chicks before... saves on the electric bill because you don't need a heat lamp, and the chicks could free range with the hen (if you let your chickens free range).

Depending on how many chicks you have coming, I would definitely see if she would take care of them. I've had hens adopt chicks before: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/357389/oegb-mama-adopted-all-of-them-pics Not only did she adopt them all, she raised them all without losing a single one. I had them in a 8 X 8 pen for a week or two and then they free range. She was a great little mama.
I would put some fake eggs under Hershey until the chicks come and then during the night swap them out.

When I was talking to my neighbors about getting backyard birds, my neighbor, born and raised in Queens, got a funny look on his face and asked "Will they have a house?" I said yes, they'll have a coop to live in. he got another look on his face and asked "You mean like in the cartoons?" It took me a few seconds, but I said yes, just like in the cartoons.

MY SON!!! at age 22 out of the army intelligent, raised on kibbutz, WORKED IN CHICKEN SHEDS, just asked me if my hens lay eggs cause we dont have a rooster... i cannot believe it. i am known for my knowlege of biology, both me and my elsest daughter worked in zoos/petting zoos and we always had exotic and wierd animasl at home or dead in the fridge (long stories, those), have eaten emu eggs for breakfast, adn then he asks me a stupid question like that??? im still in shock! i mean, all our kids worked at some point in their lives in agriculutre (mostly trees/grapevines, but when we had the chickens, they worked in the battery chicken sheds). now the kibbutz no longer has its dairy cow shed , relocated farther south; the chicken sheds for meaties are sub contracted out, so we only ahve fields and orchardsa dn vineyards, but still, they are no way city boys. people always laugh at kibbutzniks as country bumpkins, at elast i know he knows how to not get a girl pregnant (yeah yeah, i did the talk but our kids are slow here anyhow, which is a good thing i guess)...

how did he think they get 30 000 eggs or more every year from just white hens sitting in cages...

Back
Top Bottom