Funniest Things A City Slicker Has Ever Said To You?

BTW - the original Chicago ordinance was actually repealed in 1910 as a "restraint on trade." In 1912 a second law passed in Chicago.

Public health officials opposed pasteurization in many parts of the United States.

In 1907, philanthropist Nathan Straus tried to have NYC pass an ordinance mandating pasteurization - and the city's health department resisted, due to the alleged health benefits of "clean raw milk."

Perhaps the man who save the most children from milk borne diseases was a man from NYC, Nathan Straus, who was a co-owner of Macy's department store..

In the 1890s he was already building a reputation as a philanthropist. In the winter of 1892, he distributed 1.5 million buckets of coal to impoverished New Yorkers so they could heat their homes. The following year, he organized a series of shelters that provided beds and breakfasts to the city's homeless population. In 1893, he tackled the problem of unsafe milk.

Straus was apparently both a very intelligent and intellectually curious person. Straus had been reading Pasteur's work and the theoretical benefits of pasteurization. He was deeply troubled that 10% of all children born in New York City died by the age of five -and despite all the recent improvements in milk quality - he suspected that milk was to blame for many of the deaths. His reasoning was simple: Milk spoiled quicker in the heat of the summer, and the city's childhood mortality rate increased at the same time. He figured there had to be a connection between the two.

He decided to do something about it.

In June 1893, Straus set up a milk-processing station in a neighborhood on East Third Street. The station pasteurized milk on the spot, then sold it at affordable prices to local families. The station also offered free medical exams for children and free hygiene advice for their mothers. Mothers who couldn't afford 2¢ for a pint or 4¢ for a quart of milk (less than the price of unpasteurized milk) could get coupons for free milk from local doctors and charities. He proceeded to set up further stations around the city.

His final proof of the benefits of pasteurized milk came when he began providing milk to an orphanage that had seen death rates as high as 42% from tuberculosis and other milk-borne diseases. The orphanage was located on Randall's Island in the East River. All the milk it used was provided by a single herd of cows kept on the island, so it was easy to control the milk the orphans drank.

Straus began pasteurizing the orphanage's milk in 1898. Within a year, the mortality rate dropped to 28%, and continued downward in the years that followed (note that many sufferers lingered for years with milk borne illnesses.).

In 1907, his effort to have a pasteurization ordinance passed in NYC failed.

In 1912, New York passed a pasteurization ordinance, but milk distributors succeeded in delaying and then watering down the law.

Then the 1913 typhoid fever epidemic in New York claimed thousands of lives. By now it had been proved conclusively that typhoid fever was carried in milk and that it could be killed by pasteurization. New York City finally addressed the issue. By the end of 1914, 95% of the NYCs milk supply was pasteurized. By 1917, nearly all of the 50 largest cities in the nation required pasteurization; the rest of the country would follow over the next several years.

The impact of pasteurized milk on public health was nothing short of astounding. In 1885 the infant mortality rate in New York City was 273 per 1,000 live births -more than 27%. By 1915 the infant mortality rate was 94 per 1,000, a drop of two-thirds.

At the time that Illinois outlawed mandatory tuberculin testing of cattle, the state also came very close to banning pasteurization laws, and to forbidding pasteurization in its entirety as it was alleged to cause rickets and scurvy and because those who still held the miasma theory of disease did not believe TB could be transmitted to humans via milk.

The miasma theory held that disease was caused by things such as odors, filth, etc. in contrast to the microbiological theory of disease. Many who advocate for the "healthfulness" of raw milk actually hold folk beliefs that reflect the miasma theory. If filth causes disease, cleaning the udder, feeding the cow "more healthful food", and "quick cooling of milk" should prevent disease.

The microbial theory of disease recognizes that a thoroughly cleaned udder continues to harbor bacteria, that bacteria can be present in the actual milk wile it is still inside the cow.

History is written by the victor. The dairy industry won I am not surprised so many people have been brainwashed.

I think its hilarious how many people dont know plants can be female or male. .. maybe its more strange to me than hilarious... to me its common knowledge but i meet people all the time that dont know this

I think its hilarious how many people dont know plants can be female or male. .. maybe its more strange to me than hilarious... to me its common knowledge but i meet people all the time that dont know this

Never raised Kiwis or hybrid cucumbers, or had a box elder or white ash, have they? People used to - and maybe still do - look for clones of certain male trees in order to avoid having tree litter all over the yard.

That is very unbelievable. You can clue in the druggies by saying that it's like marijuana.

i was having to explain this just today to two 80+ year old people from the midwest. You would think they would have some idea....

I have met tokers that didnt know .....or maybe they forgot ;)

This was not from a city slicker and that makes it worse....

Had someone that kept insisting they were a chicken expert refer to her chicks as puppies and kept saying the mother hen (using b words) had litters. Seriously!

This same person also took her chicks off medicated feed because someone told her that medicated feed was bad for them and to feed chicks day old and higher scratch only because they are chickens and chickens only need scratch.

Facepalm!!

Back
Top Bottom