Funniest Things A City Slicker Has Ever Said To You?

I live in st Petersburg now but grew up in Punta gorda. I've lived here since 09 and Tampa before that so I'm more used to dogs and cars than chickens. I lived in NE GA for a short stint but that was in a cul-de-sac.

My road is sort of like a cul-de-sac. It dead ends at the house on the creek and those out for a Sunday drive have to turn around and go back the way they came. :frow

So i finally have something funny to add.

I was telling my mother the other day that I wanted chickens.

Me: I think I'm going to get a silkie chicken.
Mom: You're a city girl that lives in a city you cant have chickens.
Me: City ordiance says I can have up to 4 but no roosters.
Mom: City Girls do city things. Country girls do country things.

Followed by a short conversation about why i dont need anymore animals and I am entirely too busy. But i thought the initial reaction was funny. My mother doesnt like chickens because her brother had chickens that didnt like anyone but him. She grew up in Jamestown NY or there abouts. So she's more country than I am but not by much.

I'm fasicanted by the "Urban Homesteading" Concept that seems to have gotten popular lately.

Mom: City Girls do city things. Country girls do country things.

Well, so much for thinking outside of the box. I'm embarrassed to say that she sounds like someone from my generation; I've found that most Baby Boomers tend to be very rigid in their thinking. Sadly.

"I'm fasicanted by the 'Urban Homesteading' Concept that seems to have gotten popular lately."

Good for you. I doubt you'll regret trying it. Nothing better than backyard eggs, or home grown veggies. You'll become the envy of all your friends who have to eat mass production food that's totally flavorless. I have a city friend who thinks I'm nuts and it's all too much work, but she loves to come up here to enjoy my fresh food. :drool

When my city girl SIL found out we'd gotten chickens, she was thoroughly disgusted and said, among other things, "What's the point of having chickens?" I WISH I'd had the nerve to respond, "Well, the last time I checked, they provide us with eggs and meat." Funny question to get from someone whose daughter practically lives off of chicken nuggets...

Yes, or a fast food joint (unless you're old-fashioned like I am and actually make them from scratch). We modern humans are so far removed from our food sources that some WOULD miss the link between chickens and chicken nuggets...sad.

Yeah. My chickens may be more for eggs than meat but still. They're useful! Entertaining AND edible!

Quite handy to have in case of zombie apocalypse. Food source!

Haha! Ours are for eggs as well...plus they are pets and do a fabulous job of ridding our property of insects. Their purpose really does go far beyond sustenance.

Funny my mom was raised on a farm after she married my dad insisted upon living in the country and she didn't want any sort of rural lifestyle for me and my siblings other than raising a big garden. and she was upset when one sibling got a 2 year ag degree....

When my city girl SIL found out we'd gotten chickens, she was thoroughly disgusted and said, among other things, "What's the point of having chickens?" I WISH I'd had the nerve to respond, "Well, the last time I checked, they provide us with eggs and meat." Funny question to get from someone whose daughter practically lives off of chicken nuggets...

Well, there you go. Anyone who feeds their family/kids chicken nuggets obviously doesn't believe in "real" food. Instead, they eat what Michael Pollan calls "edible, food-like substances". So, my question for her is, "What's the point in eating edible food-like substances when you can keep a few chickens and have the real thing?"

Funny thing is, most of these snotty people won't put crap *ON* theiir bodies; they want the *good* clothes, shampoo, etc. But, they put crap *IN* their bodies. Gotta love Natural Selection.

Back
Top Bottom