Funniest Things A City Slicker Has Ever Said To You?

Quote:
Yes, even if the were real antlers, it would not have hurt the animal to use them. The animal was finished with them. That is why they get used for art, furniture, etc. They are easy to find. I have never heard of anyone killing a deer for its antlers. That would be foolish since they are so easy to get by just walking through the forest.

Now a bunch of ignorant people will be asking, are those antlers real? And then assuming that the deer must have been killed to get their antlers. What a shame.

I didn't know that...
hide.gif

Quote:
Yes, even if the were real antlers, it would not have hurt the animal to use them. The animal was finished with them. That is why they get used for art, furniture, etc. They are easy to find. I have never heard of anyone killing a deer for its antlers. That would be foolish since they are so easy to get by just walking through the forest.

Now a bunch of ignorant people will be asking, are those antlers real? And then assuming that the deer must have been killed to get their antlers. What a shame.

I didn't know that...
hide.gif

Sorry.
big_smile.png

Well, in your defense, you are a farmer, I am a hunter. Not everyone knows the difference between antlers and horns. What makes the above situations bad is that the ignorant person was willing to display said ignorance on national television as a lesson for all - spreading the ignorance.

Here is the lesson for the day,

Antlered animals (deer, elk) shed their antlers every year. I know it is hard to believe, but those huge elk actually grow those huge antlers in about 6 weeks' time (July/August). Then over the next month they harden and become their macho trophies as they spar for the right to mate with the females (Sept). In the late winter/early spring (March), they shed their antlers and anyone who happens into the forest and looks can just pick them up. It takes a little know how to know where to find them, but those who make art and furniture out of antlers make their way into the forest each spring for their wares.

Horned animals (cows, sheep) keep their horns and they continue to grow over their lifetime.

Here is the bonus information/trivia for the day. Antelope (our native pronghorn) have a combination of both. They have a "horn" that continues to grow over its lifetime, but also grow a sheath/antler over them that they shed every year.

And now you know.

I now return you to the original intent of this thread.

Quote:
I didn't know that...
hide.gif

Sorry.
big_smile.png

Well, in your defense, you are a farmer, I am a hunter. Not everyone knows the difference between antlers and horns. What makes the above situations bad is that the ignorant person was willing to display said ignorance on national television as a lesson for all - spreading the ignorance.

Here is the lesson for the day,

Antlered animals (deer, elk) shed their antlers every year. I know it is hard to believe, but those huge elk actually grow those huge antlers in about 6 weeks' time (July/August). Then over the next month they harden and become their macho trophies as they spar for the right to mate with the females (Sept). In the late winter/early spring (March), they shed their antlers and anyone who happens into the forest and looks can just pick them up. It takes a little know how to know where to find them, but those who make art and furniture out of antlers make their way into the forest each spring for their wares.

Horned animals (cows, sheep) keep their horns and they continue to grow over their lifetime.

Here is the bonus information/trivia for the day. Antelope (our native pronghorn) have a combination of both. They have a "horn" that continues to grow over its lifetime, but also grow a sheath/antler over them that they shed every year.

And now you know.

I now return you to the original intent of this thread.

Wow! Thank you, that was so cool!

When I take my llamas to shows, I get from people "Hey look, Emus". I should take an Emu sometime to show them the difference but, they're just too much chicken for me to handle! Pretty eggs though!
yippiechickie.gif

Quote:
I have never heard of anyone killing a deer for its antlers. That would be foolish since they are so easy to get by just walking through the forest.

That is why I dislike trophy hunting...the deer is killed only because of its rack. Hate that.

I have tons of "sheds" around here...I just woods walk with DH and DD and we use them for knife handles, I made buttons out of them, fan handles...all sorta of stuff.
smile.png

They shed every year...some years only one tine and sometimes they shed the whole rack...depends on the buck and his age.

Quote:
OMG that is hysterical. Like they look sooooooooo much alike.
gig.gif
NOT. I just saw an Emu yesterday evening ... just standing in someone's front yard munching away on the lawn. My friend who was driving said "Hey look at that ostrich" hahaha

Last edited:
Quote:
I have never heard of anyone killing a deer for its antlers. That would be foolish since they are so easy to get by just walking through the forest.

That is why I dislike trophy hunting...the deer is killed only because of its rack. Hate that.

I have tons of "sheds" around here...I just woods walk with DH and DD and we use them for knife handles, I made buttons out of them, fan handles...all sorta of stuff.
smile.png

They shed every year...some years only one tine and sometimes they shed the whole rack...depends on the buck and his age.

Quote:
OMG that is hysterical. Like they look sooooooooo much alike.
gig.gif
NOT. I just saw an Emu yesterday evening ... just standing in someone's front yard munching away on the lawn. My friend who was driving said "Hey look at that ostrich" hahaha

I do not like trophy (exclusively) hunting also.. I do deer hunt though.. and in wisc, antlers is the major way of identifying what to shoot or not to shoot.. how can I put this sugar coated??? I prefer the meat of a doe or a fawn to that of a large antlered buck..

we are getting off subject
let's get back to the funny stories..

jvls I agree with you 100%

a phone one...my mother (who is 4' 11") went to the ticket counter to buy our tickets for the movie one evening, an R rated picture. She says to him "I would like 2 adult and 1 student tickets please" He looked at her and then at me and said "Could you have one of the adults come purchase the tickets please"

needless to say.....it got a bit nasty at the ticket window hahaha I always tell her to "Stand up mom so they can see you"
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom