Funniest Things A City Slicker Has Ever Said To You?

I once got the classic, "You mean, you EAT the eggs from your hens?!"

My Mom was born a city slicker, I am a country girl at heart, so she once called my Plymouth rock girls 'Pilgrim Rocks' or 'Pilgrims'.

Quote:
Well, actually, this isn't that far-fetched. Most oddly-colored vegetables lose their color when boiled, as do most things really. However, if she'd ever boiled brown eggs, she'd know that the pigment in eggs is built of stronger stuff.

I was explaining to a couple of friends the travesty the human race has committed by breeding the modern Cornish Rock (I prefer my meat birds mobile and self-sufficient, thank you!) and how when I was the health checker at a local county fair, I checked a six-week-old bird who was the size of a rotisserie chicken already, and could no longer walk. This goes on for awhile, and we debate whether or not it's acceptable to prolong the breed and thus the suffering, or make the decison to eliminate the breed and whether or not we have that right.
At the end, someone who had not been part of the conversation asked, "So, did you eat it? Because if you did, that's awful."

Grrrr...

Also, my grandmother insists that her family had the same milk cow her entire childhood, and that that cow was never bred. We have many times explained why this is impossible, but it doesn't seem to sink in. Our theory is that they hid it from her because they had to kill the calf- no point in raising a dairy calf on a beef ranch, especially with a family that needed all the milk from the mother and nowhere to sell extra if they kept the calf.
We have also repeated that animals must be bred if they're going to give milk (excluding some scary hormone problems) and that boy goats will not give milk (again, excluding the scary hormone problems), even if you massage their udders daily. It just doesn't work that way.

Just a couple comments. Breeding the Cornish X is neither cruel nor a travesty. If you don't like them, fine, but it is not inhumane to raise them. Personally I am delighted to have a bird that is ready for the table in under 8 weeks. If you manage them properly you will have few if any crippled birds. My Cornish X seem to be the most contented chickens I have ever seen. Give them feed, water, and a comfortable place to sleep and, judging by their contented cheeps, they are happy.

As for your grandma's virgin cow, if it were a milk goat, I would believe her. One of my neighbors years ago had a Saanen doe that produced close to a gallon of milk daily year after year and she was never bred. Just for the record, they never owned a buck nor was there a buck anywhere close by. She was what is called a precocious milker. Precocious milkers are not all that uncommon in dairy goats, but it is uncommon for them to produce like this doe did. Some cows have long lactations. I used to sometimes breed my Jersey every other year. I wasn't after top production but she did produce enough for my purposes through the second year.
By the way, some boy goats do give milk. Not a lot, but enough that they must be milked out every few days or so to prevent mastitis and other problems. It isn't real common, but it isn't all that rare either. I once had an Alpine buck I had to milk out twice a week or so, and I well remember a magnificent Toggenburg buck on the show circuit whose udder was bigger than his scrotum. They had to milk him out just before he went into the show ring. I forget his name but he sired a lot of beautiful high producing daughters.

Your chickens are out I think you fence is leaking!!!!
duc.gif

Cassie said :"As for your grandma's virgin cow, if it were a milk goat, I would believe her. One of my neighbors years ago had a Saanen doe that produced close to a gallon of milk daily year after year and she was never bred. Just for the record, they never owned a buck nor was there a buck anywhere close by. She was what is called a precocious milker. Precocious milkers are not all that uncommon in dairy goats, but it is uncommon for them to produce like this doe did. Some cows have long lactations. I used to sometimes breed my Jersey every other year. I wasn't after top production but she did produce enough for my purposes through the second year.
By the way, some boy goats do give milk. Not a lot, but enough that they must be milked out every few days or so to prevent mastitis and other problems. It isn't real common, but it isn't all that rare either. I once had an Alpine buck I had to milk out twice a week or so, and I well remember a magnificent Toggenburg buck on the show circuit whose udder was bigger than his scrotum. They had to milk him out just before he went into the show ring. I forget his name but he sired a lot of beautiful high producing daughters."

Ok I know diddly squat about goats so I have to get some info here. Why do male goats have an udder? I didnt know any male animal did? I cannot wrap my head around the mechanics of a male animal producing milk, what allows this to happen in goats? Sorry for my ignorance. Ive been around horses and cattle but have never been around/learned goats.

Last edited:
Let's see.....

"Brown eggs are white eggs, just old."
"Do rabbits lay eggs?" (We ALWAYS put a chicken egg in a bunny pen at the fair and a lot of people ask that... LOL

Oh, and a friend of mine got asked about a lamancha goat (Ones without ears) and what it was. He said "It's an albino dwarf alpaca" and the guy believed him.... LOL And people always ask about the ears and they just say "We cut them off because we don't like the looks of ears on goats." HAHA

Quote:
Breezy... All male mammals have inactive mammary glands & nipples... take a look around next time you are at the pool
gig.gif
Hormones of a certain female type will increase the size of male mammaries and I would expect in some case even cause them to become functioning...
big_smile.png
Hopefully this is something I will never personally experience as I have no desire to wear a "Bro"..
smack.gif

I was trimming a clients dog nails (I'm a vet tech) and she asked me if I had any horses. I said yes. She then asked me how I clip the horses nails and if he was a good boy for it.

Quote:
That's kinda funny to me, because I trim my 90# dog's nails similar to the way a farrier does horses. He doesn't like to sit or lay very much, so I just grab one foot at a time just like the farrier
lol.png
He tolerates it. I'm not sure how much his feet were handled/trimmed in the 4 years before we got him.
My other dog loooooves belly rubs, so I just get her to lay on her back and do one paw, rub the belly, do another paw...... she doesn't mind getting hers trimmed too badly, but I started trimming them when she was young to get her used to it. When we got her spayed they trimmed her nails too, so that was nice. I don't keep their nails super short, and they cut them pretty short, but it doesn't really matter.
I hate seeing dogs with uncomfortably-long nails!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom