Funniest Things A City Slicker Has Ever Said To You?

Quote:
You can get True Potato seed.(yeah it's actually called that) I'm apart of a true potato seed breeding project here in the south for the seed saver's exchange.
Under the right circumstances potato plants will flower then produce berries that have seeds in them like tiny tomatoes.
Some are viable some are not.
They are superior IMO because they are not genetically identical to the parent plant the way seed potatoes are, which reduces the need for lab culture virus free seed potatoes, as the viruses and other diseases will wipe out an entire field of potatoes that are genetically identical after so many generations, its the same reason for the Irish potato famine.
The goal of the project is to encourage genetic variability and preserving genetic diversity of potatoes and other plants.
I hope that didn't come off as rude. I just love talking about plants
hide.gif

Quote:
You can get True Potato seed.(yeah it's actually called that) I'm apart of a true potato seed breeding project here in the south for the seed saver's exchange.
Under the right circumstances potato plants will flower then produce berries that have seeds in them like tiny tomatoes.
They are superior IMO because they are not genetically identical to the parent plant the way seed potatoes are, which reduces the need for lab culture virus free seed potatoes, as the viruses and other diseases will wipe out an entire field of potatoes that are genetically identical after so many generations, its the same reason for the Irish potato famine.
The goal of the project is to encourage genetic variability and preserving genetic diversity of potatoes and other plants.
hide.gif

Yep i was so happy when i found True Potato seed so much nicer to store seeds then potatoes.

Quote:
stereotypes suck

Yes they really do.

BTW I love your avatar! is that a castle reflection?

Thanks! I don't know, I found it on a site where people share their photographs. I don't remember where I got it now, but it was one of those where people freely posted and shared lovely photos they had taken. It's a great place to find back grounds. I bet if you look it up you can find some.

Quote:
hide.gif

Yep i was so happy when i found True Potato seed so much nicer to store seeds then potatoes.

ooo what variates have you had success with getting TPS from?
Here in Alabama it's difficult to find any variates that give viable TPS because they are both heat and day length sensitive. Couple that with our wet springs and early summers, and it adds a whole new problem. Because there is really no study done on southern TPS growing, I agreed to work with the project to try and find some and it has been a slow expensive process with little progress so far

Several years ago my husband (Ex-now) noticed an article in the paper about the high auction price the grand champion steer in the Ft. Worth Stock Show received. He told me the steer was worth so much money because it would be used "for breeding purposes". Duh...."steer? breeding purposes?"

Quote:
i don't understand. what was the dumb statement?

They probably actually were artificial.

lau.gif

Ok ya'll! Deer lose their antlers ever winter, and grow new ones. So do Elk and Moose.
When you see a chandelier made with real ones, they are generally sheds, and that can be seen by whether or not the ends were sawed off
wink.png

Last edited:
Quote:
I am going to have to respectfully disagree. A cat will still kill vermin weather fed or not. A cat like chickens, cows, and any other farm animal should have vet care, vaccinations, and have access to supplemental food. Just because it's a working animal doesn't mean it should be treated cruelly.
Also a dog that kills an animal may not be right for the farm life, but can be easily re-homed in a single pet house hold or put to work as a guard animal or a hunting dog.
I understand it's the old country way of thinking, but it may have been necessary at one time, now a days with access to resources, vet care, and so on, it is unnecessarily cruel.

A.T. Hagan :

I expect folks from the city who have never spent any time in the country not to know anything about livestock or domestic animals. I laugh along with everyone else about some of the things they say.

But the most appalling ignorance I've encountered is from folks who have lived in the country all of their lives and who are dead certain that what they say is correct when it demonstrably is not. Such as the "you gotta have a rooster to get eggs" thing. Some of the worst poultry raising advice I've ever heard came from guys who work in feed stores. Now some of them have been very knowledgeable but not all of them for sure.

Which is a frequent reminder to me not to try to give advice about livestock I know little about.

I have an elderly cousin who prescribes to the old country lore as truth sort of thing.
I had an ear infection and she was convinced if I caught a juice bug and put a drop of its blood in my ear it would cure it. She then told me june bugs only have one drop of blood in them so I had to use it wisely!
She is also convince daddy longlegs are the most poisonous spiders in the world. I tried to explain daddy longlegs, while arachnids ,are harvestmen, not spiders and do not contain venom.
She also has many other old country convictions but I don't remember what they are at the moment. I tend to not correct her. I just smile and nod. She's set in her ways and is a very sweet woman even if she is a bit misinformed.​

When I was little my mother worked at a pet shop. She was known for her magic touch with animals, especially with snakes. Well this guy brought a snake in and said it was sick. So the ditzy cashier girl called mom from the back to take a look at the snake. When mom opened the box she back peddled quickly. It was a rattlesnake.
Mom told him that he could make a bath with certin medicines in it and hope the snake will soak in it, but didn't suggest he try to make it soak in the bath.
The cashier, who was born and raised in rural alabama, said she had never seen my mom run from a snake before. my mom said " from rattle snakes I do!" and the cashier replied "oh? Are they poisonous?"
roll.png

A.T. Hagan :

I tried to explain daddy longlegs, while arachnids ,are harvestmen, not spiders and do not contain venom.

Learn something new every day-what exactly are harvestmen and why are they not considered spiders? Is it because they don't spin webs?​

Back
Top Bottom