Funniest Things A City Slicker Has Ever Said To You?

Quote:
Learn something new every day-what exactly are harvestmen and why are they not considered spiders? Is it because they don't spin webs?

I hate spiders. They're honestly the only animal I hate, and daddy longlegs are one of the worst for me. So I am very curious to learn more about them so that maybe I can get over my fear of them.

Quote:
I used to be petrified of spiders too, omg. My Mom says when I was a little kid I could shatter glass from my shrieks if I saw one. Over the years, I grew more tolerant, but was still really nervous and just ran away. Well, a year or two ago, I plucked up my courage, and at a reptile show (yea, I love everything cold blooded with scales) held a tarantula species I know to be very mild tempered, a Chilean Rosehair. The seller had a big female out and she was chilling on his shoulder, so he plucked her off and let me. It was quite an experience, and actually really cool. House spiders still kinda bug me since they aren't slow moving and chubby like that rosehair, but I can take them outside without an issue now.

I run into the "no rooster, no eggs" gem quite a bit. I recently met a guy that was absolutely convinced that I wasn't going to get any eggs since I didn't have a rooster. I tried to explain to him, but he was having none of it. I finally said, "I'm going to have to figure out who keeps sneaking in and putting all those eggs in the nest boxes." and moved on. I later found out that he is convinced I have a rooster and I'm just too dumb to realize it. Sheesh.
th.gif

Quote:
Learn something new every day-what exactly are harvestmen and why are they not considered spiders? Is it because they don't spin webs?

They are arachnids like spiders, mites, ticks, scorpions, and camel spiders, but they are a different order.
Daddy longlegs are from the Opiliones order while scorpions are Scorpiones, spiders are Araneae, ticks are Acari, and uhhh thats all i remember. don't remember what the others are *sheepish grin*

It depends on where you live... on the East Coast "daddy-long-legs" are a different animal than what we here on the West Coast think of when we hear daddy-long-legs. I did some research on them a while back...

East Coast Daddy Long Legs; Note the one piece thorax/ abdomen; (Harvestmen) Although they belong to the class of arachnids, harvestmen are not spiders, they are of the order Opiliones rather than the order Araneae.
61023_full-leg-spread-harvestman1.jpg

West Coast Daddy Long Legs; note the two piece thorax in the traditional spider sense; (Spider) The daddy longlegs (Pholcus phalangioides), also known as the skull spider due to its cephalothorax looking like a human skull, is a spider of the family Pholcidae.
61023_919557_daddy_long_leg_spider.jpg

Last edited:
I grew up in SE Alaska and our daddy long legs looked more like this:

15498_dll.jpg

I recall knowing that they were among the most poisonous spiders. But also knew that they weren't true spiders because they had 6 legs not 8.
idunno.gif

Goes to show you what 40 years does to a perfectly good mind.
hmm.png

Imp

Quote:
We had that type of daddy long legs in our garage in Minnesnowta. I'm told I used to pull their legs off when I was little. Don't remember doing something like that but I do remember being told they were benign - nonpoisonous.

Back
Top Bottom