Funniest Things A City Slicker Has Ever Said To You?

Quote:
actually, that has happened to me before. the "mark" had rubbed off of one of the eggs my mom was hatching, so it got collected with the rest of the eggs. Cracked it open a week or so later and ICK!!!! It was actually a couple weeks before I could bring myself to eat eggs. Doesn't happen often, but it does happen.

I haven't had my chickies long enough to have great stories yet, but years ago I was working at a law office when in the middle of summer we had a "water warning," where law officials told town residents they couldn't water the gardens, fill pools, etc. One girl I worked with said she was NOT going to turn off her water... that rule didn't apply to her anyway, because she wasn't "on city water," she had a well.
roll.png

A few nights ago while talking to a few folks I know about the chicks, they gave me an odd look and said

Them "So you have real live chickens?" (no - I just spend over a hundred dollars on food, and supplies for dead ones.)

Me "Yes, they're still pretty young and don't have all their feathers in yet, but still cute!"

Them "You mean they were born without wings? How are they going to fly and get around?"

Me "No, they have wings. The feathers just haven't .. I'm sure they'll manage somehow."

*sigh*

A guy, from a nearby big city, that was interested in dating me ( years ago) asked me if cows actually feel like leather!
lau.gif
after I realized he wasn't kidding I explained the whole leather making process to him, he puked!!
duc.gif

Quote:
I had my MIL out with me in the chicken coop a couple of days ago, I told her I wasn't going to keep the rooster and that I had plenty more to choose from when my 30 something chicks grew up. She said "Well you can't get rid of him"
I said "why?"
"Well your hens won't lay"
"yeah they will, I just won't get any chicks, and I really don't want chicks out of the trio I have right now anyway, so it doesn't matter one way or the other"
"Well I had chickens all my life (bahahah) and if you don't have a rooster they won't lay."

She also told me my brooder was to big for my 30 something chicks, and that she raised 150 chicks in a laundry basket on her dryer.
AND she told me my chicks wouldn't drown in a big bowl of water that she wanted me to put in the brooder for the ducks, as long as I put a big rock in the middle so they could swim to it and get on it. She was talking about the chickens.

And the latest one... I have a 2 month old blue roan stud colt that is shedding for the first time, and after I got done riding my other horses this evening she came out and said "well to bad he isn't going to be a blue roan like you said"
I said "yeah he will, he is just now shedding and his roaning is coming through on his butt right there"
"no blue roans don't have white on them, he is going to be a red roan... and boy is he getting beat up in the pasture" (FYI red roans have white on them also)
"no he's not thats where he is shedding in patches, you can see the white hairs coming in"
"Nope he is getting beat up, and I had a blue roan and she was actually blue, not black with white on him"
Never a dull moment when she is around
lau.gif

Last year my MIL had a rooster show up in her front yard and stuck around for weeks. The first time my SIL saw him she came in the house saying "Oh my gosh! You have a Turkey in your yard!" His name was Turkey from then on, he coincidentally died on thanksgiving by a couple of stray dogs.

My husband (who was apparently raised by his mother
lau.gif
) overheard my SIL and I talking about horses, just talking about everything and he asked later...
"what is foundering" I told him and he had this horrified look on his face...
He said "Well don't laugh but... For the last 2 years everyone that came up and told me their horse foundered looked at me like an idiot when I offered my condolences"
"you thought they were dead?!".
"well I thought it was horse code for dead"
lol I don't know why he thinks we have horse code... but he did. Oh and he works at a feed store.
lau.gif
poor guy, at least he tries to learn... instead of trying to know it all like his mother

Okay, i finally have a new one. My neighbor, who is in the country and has been all her life, is in her eighties. She recently asked me where my rooster was. I said, I don't have one. She said, I thought you had to have a rooster to get eggs. I replied, no, you need a rooster if you want to have chicks. She said, I didn't know roosters had babies!

Quote:
I had my MIL out with me in the chicken coop a couple of days ago, I told her I wasn't going to keep the rooster and that I had plenty more to choose from when my 30 something chicks grew up. She said "Well you can't get rid of him"
I said "why?"
"yeah they will, I just won't get any chicks, and I really don't want chicks out of the trio I have right now anyway, so it doesn't matter one way or the other"
"Well I had chickens all my life (bahahah) and if you don't have a rooster they won't lay."

She also told me my brooder was to big for my 30 something chicks, and that she raised 150 chicks in a laundry basket on her dryer.
AND she told me my chicks wouldn't drown in a big bowl of water that she wanted me to put in the brooder for the ducks, as long as I put a big rock in the middle so they could swim to it and get on it. She was talking about the chickens.

And the latest one... I have a 2 month old blue roan stud colt that is shedding for the first time, and after I got done riding my other horses this evening she came out and said "well to bad he isn't going to be a blue roan like you said"
I said "yeah he will, he is just now shedding and his roaning is coming through on his butt right there"
"no blue roans don't have white on them, he is going to be a red roan... and boy is he getting beat up in the pasture" (FYI red roans have white on them also)
"no he's not thats where he is shedding in patches, you can see the white hairs coming in"
"Nope he is getting beat up, and I had a blue roan and she was actually blue, not black with white on him"
lau.gif

Last year my MIL had a rooster show up in her front yard and stuck around for weeks. The first time my SIL saw him she came in the house saying "Oh my gosh! You have a Turkey in your yard!" His name was Turkey from then on, he coincidentally died on thanksgiving by a couple of stray dogs.

lau.gif
) overheard my SIL and I talking about horses, just talking about everything and he asked later...
He said "Well don't laugh but... For the last 2 years everyone that came up and told me their horse foundered looked at me like an idiot when I offered my condolences"
lol I don't know why he thinks we have horse code... but he did. Oh and he works at a feed store.
lau.gif
poor guy, at least he tries to learn... instead of trying to know it all like his mother

you MIL sounds like my dad, he acts like he knows more about incubation than i do. he'll say things like:
"Maybe if you actually leave the eggs alone and not turn them they'll hatch" he said that because i've never hatched a chick before because mostly minor problems that went bad

once i was talking to him about making a new incubator he said:
"Just make it simple, like; just put a blanket over the eggs and call it good"
th.gif

Quote:
I said "why?"

lau.gif

lau.gif
lau.gif

you MIL sounds like my dad, he acts like he knows more about incubation than i do. he'll say things like:
"Maybe if you actually leave the eggs alone and not turn them they'll hatch" he said that because i've never hatched a chick before because mostly minor problems that went bad

once i was talking to him about making a new incubator he said:
"Just make it simple, like; just put a blanket over the eggs and call it good"
th.gif

lol.png

Ok, I have some to add

My uncle, who used to live in the country and has lived in Central Philly for about 3 years now
hmm.png
, well, this was the conversation between him and my mom

Mom: Yea we are trying to figure out which ones are roosters because we don't want our neighbors to be mad at us for them crowing and so we get more eggs
Uncle: Oh, but wait don't you need a rooster to have eggs?
smack.gif

My Grandmother, just today
(reffering to my NH red and Production Reds)
They are cool looking
(then referring to my white silkies)
WOW those white ones look different! Do they lay eggs too?
barnie.gif

My Mom
I don't get the brown eggs from the store anymore, I think they taste sweeter than the white ones.
barnie.gif

My Dad
We can't keep any roosters, I don't want to open up an egg and see blood in it.
Me: That's not what makes blood in the egg
Dad: Are you sure?
Me: Yes dad, the only thing that you would see different is a little bullseye on the germinal disk, and becides you can cut off the blood spot if there ever is one and eat it anyway.
barnie.gif

Dad: I ain't eatin no egg with blood in it
Me: (in my head) (you will if i make a cake with it)
tongue2.gif

My family sometimes...
barnie.gif
somad.gif

Back
Top Bottom