Funniest Things A City Slicker Has Ever Said To You?

You all know Easter egg chickens i asume.idont know the real name but the chickens lay colorful eggs any way....

I gave some eggs to some citie folks and they were getting worried if the easter bunnny realy is real,the daughter says "OH MY GOD!!! Easter came early this year...im so glad the bunny pooped it out quicker this year. LOL!!! the expresion on everyones face was so funny
lau.gif

yuckyuck.gif

Image removed by staff

Last edited by a moderator:
my city living friend was here over the weekend. Early Sunday morning we were out walking the dog and one rabbit was chasing another all over the yard, trying to jump on her. She said " oh look! They're playing! They're having fun"
She's 40. She really didn't know what their play was.

my city living friend was here over the weekend. Early Sunday morning we were out walking the dog and one rabbit was chasing another all over the yard, trying to jump on her. She said " oh look! They're playing! They're having fun"
She's 40. She really didn't know what their play was.
Oh gosh---had the same thing happen, more or less. I used to raise and breed pet rabbits. A neighbor saw me put a doe in with my buck and called me a while later to let me know I should separate them if they were going to "wrestle" like that!!! I died laughing and then had to explain to a 60(ish) year old man that my rabbits were MATING!

I got two more. I had two city-slicker friends stay at my house and i brought them out to the barn to feed the egg layers and roos( these are my culls) and had them feed the chickens. Then my silkie/cochin roo come up to me and i picked him up. then my friend screamed and said, "thats one weird rabbit".
roll.png

Another is when the alarm in the shop went off and the police came out to the house. We were standing in the front when the officer pulled his gun out. I freaked out when he pointed it at my Rooster ADAM. Adam is a 3' 5" roo of Jersey giant and malay blood. he looks like a GIANT Orpington. I told the officer that he was harmless. He said...." That dog scared me to death." I as laughing as hard as anyone whos been to a "Larry the Cable Guy" show.
gig.gif
lau.gif

Last edited:
This isn't something a city slicker said, but I'll share it anyways.
My baby chicks arrived in the mail, and my family has never had them before. My mom opened the box because I wasn't home. When I came home, my mom told me, "One of the chicks is deformed! It has weird feet!"
At first, I thought it had a leg problem, but when I got home, it turns out she was looking at my Salmon Faverolle. I told her, "Mom, it's feet are supposed to look like that. It's a five toed breed."

idunno.gif

Others have probably said it, but I want to add my 2 cents.

Factory farms run for profit. Cheap eggs and chicken come from less than ideal conditions and the feed is created to keep the ammonia smell down (watch Modern Marvels about eggs sometime). The chickens I saw had pale combs and wattles and left me wondering if they would live past a year anyway, crammed in those tiny cages and fed whatever they feed. Even my husband who is not against mass production of food disliked the conditions. He's a pragmatist, but even he could see the issues surrounding the overcrowded conditions.

Antibiotics for livestock are cheap; good conditions are expensive. That's why factory farm foods are cheaper. They are willing to do cheap fixes and are willing to take a loss. They use factory leghorns and production reds for eggs that lay 5-6 eggs a week and kill the birds after a year, using the meat for dog food or chicken-like substances. Most small farms use heritage breeds that don't usually lay as often. Meat birds are typically Plymouth Rock and Cornish crosses at a factory farm. Many small farms use those but also butcher heritage breeds as well. I don't know what the factories feed their birds, but my birds taste better, even the cornish cross birds.

Both my husband and I hated eggs before eating real farm fresh eggs. Chicken was bland meat before we raised our own. Yes, you can taste the difference. It's not cheap to run a small farm, and feed is stupidly expensive now. I pay more than $16 for 50 lbs, and that's not even organic. I figure when I'm done raising a turkey, my turkeys will cost me somewhere around $50 to $100, but honestly, the meat is so good, I wouldn't have it any other way.

I don't fault you for having to budget, but at some point you must decide whether it's worth your health to keep eating foods that are laced with antibiotics and other chemicals, or if you'll make a positive change for your health. I price my eggs at $3.50/dozen and I'm maybe breaking even. When you can buy eggs for less than $2 a dozen at the store, sometimes it doesn't seem cost effective. But then, I don't have to eat what you do.

Don't fault the small farmer. They're doing their best.

I totally and completely agree. You look at any animal in a factory farm, and they are dying. Take cows for example. They stand in their own waste, squished against the cow next to them. They stand there all day, until they are either milked or killed. Is there anything humane about this? Is there anything right about it? Humans are by far the most despicable and terrible beings who walk the earth, leaving destruction behind them. But only we can fix what we've ruined. As terrible as the human race is, we can be wonderful. These animals die in the worst conditions, for the worst reasons. Would it really hurt to give them a suitable place to live? They are losing so many animals a year, that it would really be cheaper to just take care of them. My sister and I both became vegetarians because of that very reason. We don't even eat humane raised meat. While I know they were treated nicely, I still don't want to eat it. Because then I will slip and eat the disgusting meat. I still respect people who eat meat. I'm still a Christian (unlike a lot of vegetarians). I just don't want to support that kind of abuse in any way. So even if they still die, they didn't die for me.

I totally and completely agree. You look at any animal in a factory farm, and they are dying. Take cows for example. They stand in their own waste, squished against the cow next to them. They stand there all day, until they are either milked or killed. Is there anything humane about this? Is there anything right about it? Humans are by far the most despicable and terrible beings who walk the earth, leaving destruction behind them. But only we can fix what we've ruined. As terrible as the human race is, we can be wonderful. These animals die in the worst conditions, for the worst reasons. Would it really hurt to give them a suitable place to live? They are losing so many animals a year, that it would really be cheaper to just take care of them. My sister and I both became vegetarians because of that very reason. We don't even eat humane raised meat. While I know they were treated nicely, I still don't want to eat it. Because then I will slip and eat the disgusting meat. I still respect people who eat meat. I'm still a Christian (unlike a lot of vegetarians). I just don't want to support that kind of abuse in any way. So even if they still die, they didn't die for me.
Wow!! Where do you live? I came from one of the biggest milk producing areas in the world. Some of those dairies are milking 3000 or even more cows. That would be a factory farm. The cows are not "squished together standing in their own waste". They are in free stalls, which are rows of stalls under a roof with a concrete alley between the stalls. The cows go into the bedded stalls when they want to lie down and otherwise they wander around the barn or go outside into the corral. The concrete alleys in the barn and in front of the feed bunker are automatically flushed with water at least twice a day. Cows in the big factory farms are often a lot better off than those on small dairies, because some of the small dairies cannot afford free stalls and the cows have to cope with mud in the winter. Tie stalls are not used where I am from, but I have seen tie stalls and they were not at all like you describe. Even in tie stalls, you can't keep cows "squished" together anyway because they must be able to lie down and get up, and you can't have them standing on each other's udders. Many of the cows in our large factory farms are milking over 30,000 pounds of milk per year (310 days). A gallon of milk weighs 8.6 pounds. Cows that are mistreated, mismanaged, and ill fed simply do not milk well, and that's a fact.

Back
Top Bottom