Funniest Things A City Slicker Has Ever Said To You?

I started my first flock this spring. I thought I was fairly educated about chickens. I read up on them quite a bit before I decided to start raising them. BOY, was Iwrong!! But I have sure learned a lot as I was raising them, and am still just a beginner. Has anyone noticed that home grown eggs and meet have a much stronger flavor?? My birds are all organic. No hormones, steroids, or vaccinations, and all natural feed. The regs and meet are so strong flavored that they overpower the dishes I put them in!

I started my first flock this spring. I thought I was fairly educated about chickens. I read up on them quite a bit before I decided to start raising them. BOY, was Iwrong!! But I have sure learned a lot as I was raising them, and am still just a beginner. Has anyone noticed that home grown eggs and meet have a much stronger flavor?? My birds are all organic. No hormones, steroids, or vaccinations, and all natural feed. The regs and meet are so strong flavored that they overpower the dishes I put them in!
I don't think organic is the reason for that. It's just well cared for chickens :)

My flock free ranges, and my eggs are definitely much better than store bought eggs. I really don't think they are in the same category of food IMO.

I call store bought eggs - sad eggs.

Yes the Zoning was stupid so the state had to step in and fix it. what is hard about that to understand? If the zoning made sense it wouldn't need to be fixed.

"The right to grow is a result of stupid zoneing".

Oh, I get the concept, as evidenced by my statement "The Georgia Right to Grow Act was designed to rectify 'stupid' zoning laws". I just didn't understand the way you worded it. Perhaps you meant to say "The Right to Grow Act came about because of stupid zoning".

Last edited:
If they had a good reason, it might be okay to say no animals or no vegitable plants/trees here but stupidity wins out somehow always. If you had a superfund (toxic waste area) cleaned up and allowed to be used for use again I could understand the no food grown in or around that area for x number of years for the fear of a chance of (although remote) chance of poisoning if somehow the cleanup somehow missed something or animals near the community water supply to help keep the chances of accidental water supply problems. But as I said, it seems some people like to control stuff that they shouldn't.

If they had a good reason, it might be okay to say no animals or no vegitable plants/trees here but stupidity wins out somehow always. If you had a superfund (toxic waste area) cleaned up and allowed to be used for use again I could understand the no food grown in or around that area for x number of years for the fear of a chance of (although remote) chance of poisoning if somehow the cleanup somehow missed something or animals near the community water supply to help keep the chances of accidental water supply problems. But as I said, it seems some people like to control stuff that they shouldn't.
Anniston, Alabama....

Bloomington Indiana has PCB issues as well. I live here and that is why I made that statement in some cases it MIGHT be a good thing to tell someone no to raising food somewhere like telling pedestrians not to walk in the middle of the street because of cars.

I know how you feel, that is how I feel. I have managed to train them that if I whistle they come for a nice treat which is good as I can get them in the run when I go on night shift. Can I train them that while I am gardening my bum is not a tasty treat that is there to be pecked NO
he.gif

Last edited:
I know how you feel, that is how I feel.  I have managed to  train them that if I whistle they come for a nice treat which is good as I can get them in the run when I go on night shift.  Can I train them that while I am gardening my bum is not a tasty treat that is there to be pecked NO:he

Lol...my chickens leave me alone while I'm out in the yard. They are to busy looking for bugs to worry about my but!:D

With politicians, a "good reason" usually means a personal agenda ($). It may sound paranoid but, after everything I've seen concerning GMO foods, I can't help but think corporate agribusiness is fighting "the right to grow" in an effort to squash the current grass roots movement for clean, home or heritage farm grown food. Can you imagine telling Europeans they can't grow veggies or have chickens at home? They'd riot!! My daughter has lived in Italy and currently lives in France, where every available piece of soil has food growing on it, even in urban areas. They also either don't have or have to label GMO food in 40 countries ... except ours. Our government says it would be "too expensive" to require such labeling of the corporations and it's not necessary anyway, because it hasn't been proven to be harmful. Well, maybe the GMO corn or soy itself isn't harmful (we don't really know for sure, yet), but they're not saying anything about what the genetic modifications allow corporate farms to *do* to those crops ... such as spray them with Round-Up to kill the weeds without killing the crop. So, don't think the government would ever bother with a "good reason" for doing anything. As long as the individual politicians are served, that's all that counts. </end rant>

Ever wonder why politicians always seem to end up rich, even those who started poor?

Back
Top Bottom