Funniest Things A City Slicker Has Ever Said To You?

This isn't chicken related, but is a zoo story that applies, I believe. At work the other day, a guest asked me what the Rhino ate. I replied that he eats browse, hay. leaves, that sort of thing. The reply I received? "Oh, so he isn't a carnivore?" I would sure hope not, at 2000lbs + I would sincerely hope he's just a herbivore. LOL
Haha, I agree! Question, what zoo do you work at? I've always thought it'd be nice to work at one, or volunteer. I just may do it some day, but our local zoo isn't quite what many would think of a zoo as. Being a smaller town (about 30,000 people) we never had anything like that until a few years ago a fellow went through all of the paper work and became certified as a zoo. All he's got currently are some flying squirrels, wild turkeys, chickens, various birds (Cockatoo's, cockatil's, among many others), 1 python, and some dogs from the pound I assume. He's trying but is completely non-profit, so he can only afford what comes out of his pocket or is given to him by locals. A lot of people don't even know he exists, I stop by occasionally to look but not as often as I'd like.

God bless,
Daniel.

Haha, I agree! Question, what zoo do you work at? I've always thought it'd be nice to work at one, or volunteer. I just may do it some day, but our local zoo isn't quite what many would think of a zoo as. Being a smaller town (about 30,000 people) we never had anything like that until a few years ago a fellow went through all of the paper work and became certified as a zoo. All he's got currently are some flying squirrels, wild turkeys, chickens, various birds (Cockatoo's, cockatil's, among many others), 1 python, and some dogs from the pound I assume. He's trying but is completely non-profit, so he can only afford what comes out of his pocket or is given to him by locals. A lot of people don't even know he exists, I stop by occasionally to look but not as often as I'd like.

God bless,
Daniel.
I love our zoo, and have since I first stepped foot in it 16 years ago. I volunteered for 8 years before getting hired, and work now on our new Veldt exhibit. We take people out into our new grassland, for an up close and personal view of African wildlife. I volunteered (and still do) in the education dept, talking to people about our education animals, conservation, and the zoo in general. This particular zoo is in Georgia.

Perhaps the zoo near you will become a bigger, more varied zoo with time. They take so much money and work by a lot of people to keep running. It has been interesting to gain a behind the scenes view of what it takes to keep everything running.

God bless,
Daniel.
My mom didn't believe flying squirrels existed until her cat killed one and brought it to her and she asked me what it was because it wasn't a traditional brown or grey one.

My mom didn't believe flying squirrels existed until her cat killed one and brought it to her and she asked me what it was because it wasn't a traditional brown or grey one.

Flying squirrels don't exist.
wink.png

I thought RH might of been referring to the squirrels don't necessarily fly, they glide so "flying" squirrel's "don't exist". But, in terms of the creatures who are called flying squirrels, other than seeing them at the zoo my cousin owned two. Friendly little guys and very energetic, she used to let them out at night (as they are nocturnal animals) and they'd climb all over you; really neat to watch them in their cage too, she had a wheel for them and everything but it seemed out of everything they liked to just do back flips and run around the cage flying from one spot to another.

My cousin got them free, lucky for her. They're some expensive little things to buy- at least around here. Some zoo (not the one I mentioned prior, as he had many) was offering to pay about 700 a squirrel at one point assuming she ever had offspring. Not sure which type of squirrel her's were, they favored the Northern on the Wiki link more than the southern squirrels though.

God bless,
Daniel.

Last edited:
I thought RH might of been referring to the squirrels don't necessarily fly, they glide so "flying" squirrel's "don't exist". But, in terms of the creatures who are called flying squirrels, other than seeing them at the zoo my cousin owned two. Friendly little guys and very energetic, she used to let them out at night (as they are nocturnal animals) and they'd climb all over you; really neat to watch them in their cage too, she had a wheel for them and everything but it seemed out of everything they liked to just do back flips and run around the cage flying from one spot to another.

My cousin got them free, lucky for her. They're some expensive little things to buy- at least around here. Some zoo (not the one I mentioned prior, as he had many) was offering to pay about 700 a squirrel at one point assuming she ever had offspring. Not sure which type of squirrel her's were, they favored the Northern on the Wiki link more than the southern squirrels though.

God bless,
Daniel.
best part of the whole dang post!

Back
Top Bottom