GA Woman Shoots Neighbors Dog

true, but again, that is PURSUING the dog. That means the dog is loose and actively fleeing the scene. That means the farmer caught the dog in the act and shot and missed or otherwise didn't kill the dog. But, again, once you have caught the dog, it's considered animal cruelty to tie it up and shoot it.
If the farmer came home, saw dead animals, drove to the neighbor's house and shot the dog, then it would be illegal. Same if the farmer waited several days and then drove down the street to shoot the dog.

Plus, there is the public opinion problem. There are people who want to change the laws and make it illegal to defend your livestock. What perfect ammo for them. "Crazed neighbor ties up and shoots defenseless dog"

Last edited:
true, but again, that is PURSUING the dog. That means the dog is loose and actively fleeing the scene. That means the farmer caught the dog in the act and shot and missed or otherwise didn't kill the dog. But, again, once you have caught the dog, it's considered animal cruelty to tie it up and shoot it.
If the farmer came home, saw dead animals, drove to the neighbor's house and shot the dog, then it would be illegal. Same if the farmer waited several days and then drove down the street to shoot the dog.

Actually, the laws of several states allow the farmer to kill the dog after the fact. Whether a dog is being pursued fleeing the scene of an attack or has already been captured, the imminent threat has passed. While the element of an imminent threat is a central concept in defense laws, it is not always the sole consideration. Sometimes, what a person or animal has done or will do allows them to be killed in "cold blood." They're "too dangerous to be allowed to live," like Bin Laden and Count Dooku.

The legislators must have concluded that, given the nature of dogs and the owners that fail to contain them, that they will be repeat offenders and farmers don't have all day to catch the dogs red handed. Nor should they risk future livestock doing so.

I would like to see what states allow you to kill the dog after the fact? I have researched about 3 dozen states over the years and have yet to see one that allows that. It would be good to know for when others ask.
When I say pursuing, I mean that the dog was caught in the act and you shoot the dog but don't kill it. You are expected to try to either finish the dog off or contact the owner. Otherwise, you face the risk of animal cruelty charges.

Quote:
Quote:
If any person owning or having any dog that kills sheep or other domestic animals, or that kills a human being, upon satisfactory evidence of the same being made before any judge of the district court in the county, and the owner duly notified thereof, shall refuse to kill it, and shall permit such dog to go at liberty, he shall be guilty of a Class 3 misdemeanor, and the dog may be killed by anyone if found going at large. (1862‑3, c. 41, s. 1; 1874‑5, c. 108, s. 2; Code, s. 2500; Rev., s. 3304; C.S., s. 1671; 1973, c. 108, s. 24; 1977, c. 597; 1993, c. 539, s. 530; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c).)

You have to be pretty sick to tie a dog to a tree and shoot it in the head three times.
Or you might just be really po'd!

TX HEALTH & S § 822.013

(a) A dog or coyote that is attacking, is about to attack, or has recently attacked livestock, domestic animals, or fowls may be killed by:
(1) any person witnessing the attack; or
(2) the attacked animal's owner or a person acting on behalf of the owner if the owner or person has knowledge of the attack.

The two really big problems with shooting a dog or dogs attacking your poultry or other small livestock is that 1, its a good way to sart a war with your neighbors, even those other than the owner of the dog, opening you up to risk of retaliation, revenge, someone harming your livestock or property, and 2, it rarely really solves the problem. In most areas where dogs are commonly or even occasionally tolerated running at large, as is the case in many suburban and rural areas, you kill, one, there's still going to another and another, a constant danger of it happening again. Best is to securely protect your own animals.

The two really big problems with shooting a dog or dogs attacking your poultry or other small livestock is that 1, its a good way to sart a war with your neighbors, even those other than the owner of the dog, opening you up to risk of retaliation, revenge, someone harming your livestock or property, and 2, it rarely really solves the problem. In most areas where dogs are commonly or even occasionally tolerated running at large, as is the case in many suburban and rural areas, you kill, one, there's still going to another and another, a constant danger of it happening again. Best is to securely protect your own animals.
While I do agree that securing your own animals is part of the formula, I would like to make three salient points:

1. When your neighbors find out that you will kill offending pets they have a tendency to start keeping theirs under better control.
  2. It is a certainty that a dead dog well not repeat the offense.
  3. Would you want to escalate a war with this woman? Think it over before you answer. The life you save may be your own.

When it comes to protecting my self and my property I see no difference between a wild animal and a supposedly domesticated one.

Back
Top Bottom