Game Cock Conditioner = much less poop?

Sonya9

Crowing
10 Years
Feb 7, 2014
Georgia
About a week ago I ran out of the Purina Sunkist Flock Raiser that I normally feed, the feed store was closed so I picked up a bag of F-R-M Game Cock Conditioner made by a local livestock feed company.

It has 16% protein and a lot more ingredients than flock raiser. The birds love it and seem much more energetic (mixed flock of oeg bantams, pullets, and a couple of layers). Only downside is it has whole corn, wheat, and millet (?) in it which means I have to grind it up before feeding else they will pick out what they like and leave the rest.

I have a poop board with PDZ on it and I have noticed a HUGE difference in their droppings. With flock raiser they ate a lot and pooped big piles with almost a pudding like consistency, on the game cock feed they eat a little less (and I do moisten it with water) and they are turning about about half as much in firm little poops.

I have to wonder if the flock raiser had a lot of "filler" in it that was not digested.

Last edited:
About a week ago I ran out of the Purina Sunkist Flock Raiser that I normally feed, the feed store was closed so I picked up a bag of F-R-M Game Cock Conditioner made by a local livestock feed company.

It has 16% protein and a lot more ingredients than flock raiser. The birds love it and seem much more energetic (mixed flock of oeg bantams, pullets, and a couple of layers). Only downside is it has whole corn, wheat, and millet (?) in it which means I have to grind it up before feeding else they will pick out what they like and leave the rest.

I have a poop board with PDZ on it and I have noticed a HUGE difference in their droppings. With flock raiser they ate a lot and pooped big piles with almost a pudding like consistency, on the game cock feed they eat a little less (and I do moisten it with water) and they are turning about about half as much in firm little poops.

I have to wonder if the flock raiser had a lot of "filler" in it that was not digested.
Could you post a pic of the label showing the ingredients and nutrient levels from the F-R-M Game Cock Conditioner?

Your hypothesis could very well be sound. I have seen this in dogs and or cats, the better quality feed results in less waste out the back end of the feeding process. The looks and consistency of your new feed are of quite an interest to me. I have often wondered how much 'filler' we do purchase, along with that the animal requires. I am sure that a lot of feeds are padded with low cost filler, to make the human buyer, feel they are getting their moneys worth. Would be interesting to know the inner working of the national brands, feed mix, and just how much and of what they add purely for the human involved in the transaction. I as you suppose the birds could fare quite well without a lot of what is in there.

Best to you and your birds,

RJ

Wouldn't having a lot of filler lower the protein content?
So by adding "filler" wouldn't you have to have a high source of protein to compensate for the "filler"?
Which would make the end product cost higher?

Plant Protein Products: soybean meal, canola meal, cottonseed meal, pea by-products, yeast products.
Animal Protein Products: meat and bone, animal by-product meal, blood meal, fish meal, poultry meal, hydrolyzed feather meal, milk and whey products.
Processed Grain by-products: wheat millrun, distillers dried grains, corn gluten meal, brewers dried grains, malt sprouts, wheat middlings, bran products.
Molasses Products: beet & cane molasses, molasses distillers dried solubles.
Roughage Products: soybean hulls and millrun, cottonseed hulls, beet pulp.
Forage Products: dehydrated alfalfa meal, ground alfalfa hay, ground grass.
http://agr.wa.gov/FoodAnimal/AnimalFeed/definitions.aspx

Flock Raiser

Ingredients:
Grain Products, Plant Protein Products, Processed Grain By-Products, Calcium Carbonate Molasses Products, Soybean Oil, Monocalcium Phosphate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Salt DL-Methionine, L-Lysine, Magnesium Sulfate, Potassium Sulfate, Choline Chloride, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of Vitamin K), Riboflavin Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin A Supplement, Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate, Tagetes (Aztec Marigold) Extract (Color), Dried Aspergillus oryzae Fermentation Extract, Manganous Oxide, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Inulin, Calcium Iodate, Dried Enterococcus faecium Fermentation Product, Sodium Selenite, Dried Pediococcus acidilacticii Fermentation Product, Dried Bificobacterium animalis Fermentation product, Dried Lactobacillus reuteri Fermentation Product, Diatomaceous Earth
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/purinareg;-flock-raiserreg;-sunfreshreg;-recipe-crumble-50-lb

I am sure that a lot of feeds are padded with low cost filler, to make the human buyer, feel they are getting their moneys worth. Would be interesting to know the inner working of the national brands, feed mix, and just how much and of what they add purely for the human involved in the transaction. I as you suppose the birds could fare quite well without a lot of what is in there.

Best to you and your birds,

RJ
My biggest gripe with the feed companies is when they removed animal based proteins from feed. I guess it makes people feel good to thinks their chickens are better off as vegetarians. Chickens are omnivores so feed manufacturers must add chemical replacements for the amino acids that soy beans don't have.

Your trying to compare apples with oranges, the only thing these two feed have in common is there chickens feed with out animal proteins and fats. That's it...

Most likely the reason why your seeing less coming out the back end of your birds on this conditioner feed is because it is a high energy low protein feed and your birds are using more of the available nutrients so there is less waste. The Flock Raiser is higher in protein, most likely lower in energy and your birds didn't need as much of the available nutrients to survive and so the extra comes out the back end of your birds as waste.

It has nothing to do with, "fillers" but more so on available nutrition.

Back
Top Bottom