Genetic Hackle; AKA "Fly Tying Chickens" Info for the interested.

What line are they from? For good quality skins, raising them in small wire cages is ideal. My taxidermy teacher raises a hundred or so every year, the cages he keeps them in are maybe a foot square. He feeds mainly game bird feed mixed with meat bird feed.

hit.gif
That is so sad
hit.gif

What line are they from? For good quality skins, raising them in small wire cages is ideal. My taxidermy teacher raises a hundred or so every year, the cages he keeps them in are maybe a foot square. He feeds mainly game bird feed mixed with meat bird feed.
I won't have that many so I'll likely let them free range at least till they're breeding, I free range my Araucana's part of the day and won't want them crossing. Our yard is about 3 acres and the dogs do an excellent job of protecting our 40 acres from predators so fresh green grass shouldn't be too hard on the hackles if they drag some. I'm thinking what I do for my others will be more than adequate then. Thanks.

Are they prone to flying? Some breeds are more prone than others. I have a large grow out pen with no top, 6 foot chain link. My Araucana's, even young ones, would be flying up to sit on the top and laugh at me if I even "thought" about penning them with no top.

I won't have that many so I'll likely let them free range at least till they're breeding, I free range my Araucana's part of the day and won't want them crossing.  Our yard is about 3 acres and the dogs do an excellent job of protecting our 40 acres from predators so fresh green grass shouldn't be too hard on the hackles if they drag some.   I'm thinking what I do for my others will be more than adequate then.  Thanks.  

Are they prone to flying?  Some breeds are more prone than others.  I have a large grow out pen with no top, 6 foot chain link.  My Araucana's, even young ones, would be flying up to sit on the top and laugh at me if I even "thought" about penning them with no top.   

If you are using them for breeding, no need for special cages or care, just extra protien. I have some various fly-tie style mutts and will be hatching some pure birds soon. Depending on whose line you have will determine it. The birds Boggy Bottom has are more calm and laid back, the mixes I have are less flighty than my sumatras and araucanas. My pure birds are like a wyandotte, very calm. The line my taxidermy guy has are super flighty.

If you are using them for breeding, no need for special cages or care, just extra protien. I have some various fly-tie style mutts and will be hatching some pure birds soon. Depending on whose line you have will determine it. The birds Boggy Bottom has are more calm and laid back, the mixes I have are less flighty than my sumatras and araucanas. My pure birds are like a wyandotte, very calm. The line my taxidermy guy has are super flighty.
Mine are Boggy Bottom. My Araucana's are super tame, most will fly up in my lap in the golf cart when I'm feeding if they're free ranging then. My Sumatra's have been quiet and friendly too but then, my Golden Pheasants eat from my hand and let me pet them in the pen too.

I have some Tomaru's too and they are super calm. They and the Pheasants live together, very calm birds.

edited to add photo
Of 18 eggs, I hatched 12 chicks....there was still one in the incubator, drying off when I took this picture.

Last edited:
Mine are Boggy Bottom. My Araucana's are super tame, most will fly up in my lap in the golf cart when I'm feeding if they're free ranging then. My Sumatra's have been quiet and friendly too but then, my Golden Pheasants eat from my hand and let me pet them in the pen too.

I have some Tomaru's too and they are super calm. They and the Pheasants live together, very calm birds.

edited to add photo
Of 18 eggs, I hatched 12 chicks....there was still one in the incubator, drying off when I took this picture.
I will be getting some from Boggy Bottom in a couple of weeks

I have noticed that several times a year on different poultry message boards someone ask about "fly tying chickens".  Well I raise chickens of this type and fly fish also.  Below you will find some general information on these birds, also if you have any questions I will try to answer them.  I hope the information helps thoes interested in raising these birds./img/smilies/cool.png

Introduction

Genetic Hackle chickens are some of the most exotic chickens on the planet!  These birds have been bred for many years to produce feathers for use in tying fishing flies.  Their feathers are up to five times longer and thinner than feathers on domesticated birds. There are less than 20 breeders of genetic hackle birds in the United States, therefore they are very rare. 

Genetic hackle birds have been selectively bred for about half of a century for their feather quality and are a testament to the flexible nature of the chicken when it comes to extreme genetic manipulation.

Some history

Feathers have been used on fishing lures to imitate insects and other fish foods for hundreds of years. In the early 1950's a few dedicated fly fishermen, who just so happened to like chickens, dedicated time and energy to developing a chicken that would produce feathers that would tie a better fishing fly.  Better feathers, for those of you who don't tie flies, mean less web to the feather, thinner width, flexible stem, and longer length. 

Two of the best know genetic hackle breeders were Harry Darbee and Andy Miner.  Almost all of the current bloodlines used for producing genetic hackle today can be traced back through their breeding programs. As the story goes these men were very generous with their stock, sending out eggs to friends that were dedicated to breeding better birds. As the sport of fly fishing grew and demand for quality feather was on the rise a few of the breeders rose to the challenge and produced better and better hackle.  This leads us to the breeders of today, there are only a few and most have purchased stock from breeders as they have retired for a hefty price. These breeders continue in the tradition of bringing the fly fishing fraternity quality hackle with which they can tie to a hook, get out on the river, and fool a wise old trout

Sources

You can not buy fly tying chickens from a hatchery! Packages that are advertised for this purpose are simply a collection of roosters with the correct color of feathers, but normal chickens.  However if you are truely interested in raising some dry fly hackle birds there is a source for eggs and livestock. Follow this link: Genetic Hackle Source

Roosters can be kept in many ways but should be kept in an enviroment that keeps them from breaking feathers such as indiviual cages, free range, or low lighting in large pens.

Feathers are sold to fly tyers "on the skin" as capes (the roosters neck) or Saddles (the roosters back) Some capes can sell for up to $150.00 each and some saddles up to $100.00.  The average good cape can sell for $20 + and the average saddle can sell for $12+  This makes just average roosters worth about $32.00 each.  Not bad for raising them for about a year.

I hope this info helps thoes of you interested, I know when I wanted info on these birds I could never find much.  I have birds from Theriault Flies and like them very much (I am not related or associated with them except that I purchased eggs from them).  Please let me know if you have any questions.

BD
I bought Fly Fie eggs from Boggy Bottom Bantams off of ebay way back in 2013. I never could get anyone up around the Blue Ridge Parkway interested in them. I sold beautiful grizzled adult pairs fully feathered for $ 50. A pair. Out of a dozen eggs I was lucky enough to get a pair and then a second pair out of the second batch of a dozen eggs.

The pairs mated and Spring 2014 they were laying. No one up around here were interested in buying. Not their chicks and certainly not their eggs.

So their eggs went for breakfast, cakes,and even breads. I ended up selling both pairs to a man in Martinsville area. They were supposed to be worth hundreds or up to thousands of dollars. But all I could get was $50. Each pair. He planned to keep them as breeders. What I liked about them was they were FRIENDLY. CURIOUS, Loved to roam around during the day.
I sold and gave away my Phoenix, Phoenix Bantams and Ohiki from Wytheville to Rocky Mount. They eat and they need lots of clean straw and many perches in their houses and they loved to roam our farm. I think they are beautiful and would consider raising them again. Just not right now. They are not prolific. I kept back one Ohiki boy and girl, hawk got her. Yesterday, I just gave away a roo from a different pair I just gave away.

The facts are people the fly ties are raised in china. The feathers are bagged and up for sale WAY cheaper than I can feed mine. People
Will get what is cheaper in most cases.

Yes the Fly ties did free range but they also need feed. China does it so much cheaper than we do. My time is money! Where Phoenix, Phoenix Bantams, and Ohiki are concerned they are expensive eggs and they dont lay eggs as much as most and they are not cold hardy, I saw pics of Fly tie where it snows, well that is all great but really? They are sensitive to the cold and lay less, and catch colds. I admit mine were spoiled. They loved my garden, they lived their hutches and perches, they loved their fenced doggie kennels from TSC to keep them safer at night. Each pair cost atleast $700. Each to set up and then for a hear and ahalf, I had to feed and change straw and clean out their homes and gosh I sold each pair for 50. Such a deal.
They are beautiful and I would consider them again. I have their fencing (300.) their hutch(300.)pen that fits nicely inside with lots of room to move around in and feeders a s waters (50) an perches (25.) set up and an old tire (free) for them to hop through. So about $700. Per pair and your good to go but that does not cover their costs. Well if you fly tie fish like me raise them for yourself but if you think there is money in it... There is But....

Last edited:
Very cool , I'm a fly fisherman myself and was wondering a lot about questions you answered without me asking. Thanks, I raise about 80 birds that I picked for eggs and feather purposes. So far I've found that coop conditions and ground cover are the most important to keep any of your birds feathers "un"ruffled. I use a lot of sand as its soft on the birds. Sand also is a great and efficient way to keep all moisture under control, so birds can't get sloppy, easier to shovel out than mud.I'll tell ya as a fisherman, black stars have the nicest, most rigid feather for your main body of the fly. I fly salt and fresh and black, or white, are some of my favorite main body colors to throw. I also chose speckled sussex's for their chest feathers which have every brown and of shade of white specks you can imagine, works well on overcast days. Thanks again for the hackle info. Be safe ,fish hard !

Very cool , I'm a fly fisherman myself and was wondering a lot about questions you answered without me asking. Thanks, I raise about 80 birds that I picked for eggs and feather purposes. So far I've found that coop conditions and ground cover are the most important to keep any of your birds feathers "un"ruffled. I use a lot of sand as its soft on the birds. Sand also is a great and efficient way to keep all moisture under control, so birds can't get sloppy, easier to shovel out than mud.I'll tell ya as a fisherman, black stars have the nicest, most rigid feather for your main body of the fly. I fly salt and fresh and black, or white, are some of my favorite main body colors to throw. I also chose speckled sussex's for their chest feathers which have every brown and of shade of white specks you can imagine, works well on overcast days. Thanks again for the hackle info. Be safe ,fish hard !
I use sand under the straw. A truck load cost 400. And I dont know how much he lost coming down the roads but I surely did not get my money's worth. I kept raking the sand to clean the chicken kennels out and they kept digging and then I has a mess so I used straw and they dig under the straw and down into the sand.

Last edited:
U might wanna try "play" sand from your local Home Depot or lowes. It's about 1.99 for a 10 lb bag. It is what you would use for your child's sand box. It soaks up moisture (piss&poo) yet it dries out well also. I stole my wife's sifter and and will do 5 passes of a fine sand layer. I too use straw but I keep my straw in a very hot, ventilated metal building which dries it out a lot more than when I bought it. Which also helps.

Back
Top Bottom