Genetic Hackle; AKA "Fly Tying Chickens" Info for the interested.

I haven't been on this website in a while. Am glad this thread is still kicking. I am a fly tier here in IL and love tying and fishing. Personally these are 3 main types of hackle chicken's in today's times 1. non genetic and or wild chickens witch has no food with steroids or added stuff to it and feathers on the chickens are wild ranging patterns on the feathers and color is wild and not perfect. Domestic or semi genetic chickens may have some genetics or breed to have good color and feather length is short but tapered. Genetic chickens feathers are graded from numbers 3 to 1 grades. But there are differences between companies but what stays the same is even color, feather length, condition of the feathers on each part of the chicken.

Hen should be soft to the touch and may or may not be web free.

Roster- depending on the 3 categories The genetic hackle should be web free from 1/3 of a single feather's barbs

For me genetic chickens feathers are rather are long and have a thin stem but the stem doesn't tapper much but the webbing mite.

Dry flies sit on the surface until then either sink or a fish grabs and eat's it.

Wet flies( non -palmered ) these wet flies may or may not have a tail, and have a clear visible body, but sometimes the Hen hackle is tied before the wing or wings depending on the style.

Irish wet flies, can be very complex to tie. For the most part have a salmon fly look to them and have a hackle palmered though the body of the fly. ( much like my profile picture witch is a fully dressed salmon fly)

fly tying has some rules but it is more a preference of style, and the way you tie one fly can be different and change as you catch fish on any thing you plan to inmate. There should be a balance between the way the fly works and fishes and braking a patterns respire or dressing.

I hope this help everybody a little and hope you all have a great day

Hi everyone, thank you for posting all of the great information on this thread. I'm currently hatching out some Genetic Hackle chicks- I thought this might be the right thread to ask my question:

The first one that hatched is like a ginger colored duckwing, the second one to hatch was mostly black with a few spots of white, then I got two that were a pale silver, and one that was a very light tan. Is it normal to have such a range in color? Also- is there a proper term(s) for the colors? The hatch is still going on. I don't know much about the breed- I am hatching these for a friend who ordered them through the mail.
Thank you!

I'd sure
Love some leads to where I could acquire some genetic chickens for fly tying. I'd love some grizzlies and some duns. Any help is greatly appreciated
Cheers, Walt

Look up a this book. It worth the price of the book. Great info and history. You can look up a hackle farm ->

I'll be honest genetic hackle is about personal preference. Like for example- how the feather should look and act like, How long it should be in leath , the shape of the feathers , how long or how short the feather barbs should be, and so on. Genetic Hackle is very specialized and it is very high cost to buy a full skin, cape/neck and or a full saddle but i know nothing on how to grow the chicken to suit your needs. That in itself would be frustrating and more cost to the people who grow the chickens, Hen ( female chicken) Roster ( Dry fly bird )

-> Collins hackle farm -http://www.collinshacklefarm.com/

Book to read on dry flies and how the flies are tied and also as well it has Hackle section

https://www.amazon.com/Tying-Catskill-Style-Flies-Mike-Valla/dp/1934753017

I am an avid fly fisherman and fly tyer and chicken breeder. Im looking for about 30-50 genetic hackle chicks. Or recomondations on breeds to make mutts with. Any help appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom