German New Hampshire

Well, it's been a couple of days since anyone has posted anything on this thread so I guess I'll try to get things started again. Here' a couple of pictures of my cockerel. He's 6 months old and the pictures really don't do him justice. I couldn't get but one picture of my pullet,I'll try again at a later time but for now this is all I have to show.
78097_dscf0215.jpg
78097_dscf0220.jpg
78097_dscf0218.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
SWEET and yes chicken pics are hard to get Ive been trying for two days to capture a good pic of a little boy to show off and it seems every time I break out the camera he gets difficult or something like the dang thing is gonna eat him grrr
barnie.gif

Pretty birds though I like!

Jeff

Last edited:
Ok, I just had to poke my head in on this thread. Beautiful birds you guys!! Now a few questions.

1) Are these a seperate breed from the NHs, or just a different variety?

2) Are they APA approved and have an SOP?

3) How big do these guys/girls get? Good layers? Good and calm temperaments?

I love the coloring and chunkiness, and wouldn't ya just know it, Kathy is a "neighbor" here in MO, albeit not a close one
wink.png
I'm one curious puppy now!
droolin.gif

They are New Hampshires. A little history.....
After the war with Germany, as part of the reconstruction effort, the USA sent New Hampshires and AMRocks, etc, to Germany. Ya see, during the war, the soldiers (Americans and Germans) and Germans literally ate most all of the poultry in Germany, just to survive. In the USA, the New Hampshires fell to a critically low level of specimens. Americans sorta let go of the dual purpose breeds, in favor of the quick growing Cornish Cross.

The Germans loved the New Hampshires, and still do today, as I understand it. They continue to breed them. It has been said that the Germans have the best New Hampshires there are. An American got some of the German New Hampshires a while back. That is where Doug (where I got mine) got his. He has been keeping some pure, and some he is crossing with American Hamps. Apparently, if I understand it correctly, the German New Hampshires are a bit darker than our standard calls for, and the black tips on the hackles of the females is not prominent enough.

Some of the calmest birds I have, as well as being excellent layers.

New Hampshires are in the SOP, yes.

Last edited:
Quote:
1) Yes they are new NHs, and may be the best we have or close if not.
2) I think that good ones would show well on most levels.
3) I think the average would fall just shy of the standard. I have seen a couple that might have it. I don't know that my cockerels would make it to 8.5 lbs. , but I don't think they will be far off. I have seen a couple that looks like they will get there, so it is in them. I have not have had them for a year +, but my initial impression based on experience is that they will be good layers to look this good. I think they reach point of lay a little later than a NH should, but that is an opinion. It wouldn't matter to most. They are exccedingly calm. I did not grow out a cockerel that would be bad with people. Earlier on I was thinking that were too laid back for my preference, but they are foraging and ranging farther everyday. They have become the favorite of my kids (less one that likes his Delewares).

I spent alot of time and effort looking for and growing NHs. I have been looking for some I wanted to start with. I am happy with my start, and I am not one to settle. Also, I don't know if you know Kathy or not, but she was very generous and helpful. I think alot of her, and I don't think that you could get them from a better person.

Last edited:
Alrighty Jeff, took you up on your challenge and finally got some photos of my Kathy Hamps.

31 weeks old....3 cockerels, 9 pullets.

This is #1 cockerel who is over what I think are the three nicest pullets for the first round of hatching.
40145_dsc00473.jpg
40145_dsc00506.jpg

#2 on the left a couple of months ago, on the right a recent shot
40145_dsc06052.jpg
40145_dsc00747.jpg

#3 I think will help with the bit too high tails on some of these. (He looks so SERIOUS doesn't he?)
tongue.png

40145_dsc00575.jpg

Ya know we have been talking about the color of these. It's said that the German line are darker
than preferred here. The SOP illustration shows an orangy bird, but the color description reads
"medium chestnut red" for both body and hackle. I have some of both...which do you think is more
correct, the deeper color on the left and the pullets above, or the lighter on the right?
40145_dsc00503.jpg
40145_dsc00650.jpg

frow.gif
Hi Kathy...finally got them posted
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom