Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

I go crazy over persimmons... gotto be dead ripe though... bite a hole in the skin and suck the fruit inside out... Oh MY gawd....

I like the kind that you have to wait. the kind that eats like an apple while good and convenient doesnt have the same appeal for me.

deb
I to love eating fuyu persimmons. Sometimes I cannot wait until the insides are soft and will start with them crispy. Put soft and transparent are the best!

I to love eating fuyu persimmons. Sometimes I cannot wait until the insides are soft and will start with them crispy. Put soft and transparent are the best!
we have tried everything to grow persimmon in the Phils but no go.

we had good luck with several fig varieties

today we are trimming the mulberry tree and setting 50 cuttings into pots.

mulberry leaves are a great feed source for goats

Main analysis Unit
Avg​
SD​
Min​
Max​
Nb​
Dry matter % as fed
38.3​
1​
Crude protein % DM
17.6​
1​
Crude fibre % DM
7.4​
1​
Ether extract % DM
11.5​
1​
Ash % DM
20.4​
1​
Gross energy MJ/kg DM
17.4​

Minerals Unit
Avg​
SD​
Min​
Max​
Nb​
Calcium g/kg DM
21.5​
1​
Phosphorus g/kg DM
1.3​
1​

Amino acids Unit
Avg​
SD​
Min​
Max​
Nb​
Arginine % protein
5.8​
1​
Glycine % protein
5.6​
1​
Histidine % protein
2.1​
1​
Isoleucine % protein
4.6​
1​
Leucine % protein
8.7​
1​
Lysine % protein
4.2​
1​
Methionine % protein
1.8​
1​
Phenylalanine % protein
5.5​
1​
Threonine % protein
2.8​
1​
Tyrosine % protein
4.0​
1​
Valine % protein
5.7​

Shoveling compost is quite relaxing! Managed to get a little yard work done today. And we planted some fruit trees last week. Had to replace the peach that died during the summer, added a nectarine, pomegranate and a fig :) Hoping to find a persimmon. I've had some friends send me passion fruit seeds (locally known as maypops). Got a lot of little pepper plants repotted into bigger pots, started a few more tomatoes too. The first batch of tomatoes didn't sprout too well, the peppers did great. Cut down a bunch of privet. I need to borrow those goats :lol: Privet is evil stuff. I've been fighting it for 5 years! This was the house when I bought it. That's privet, growing above the roof line! That bush is long gone, it did involve a pick axe, chain and a truck. :rolleyes: Stuff is still popping up all around the property though.
Peaches are my FAVORITE! All fruit is delicious though.

caf.gif

Busy times continue at Cocobeach.

Lat week we took a little dip in egg numbers but it back up today. I am currently selling everything I can hatch so I dont want an unseasonal molt.

The new duck quarters are being built. We had a fence jumper swipe scovie eggs so the ducks are being relocated off the fence. i still want to run a couple of strands hooked up to a Gallagher energizer but I get voted down. If it keeps up I will get Dodong a shotgun and license.

Some maintenance on the piggery is complete. The floors in one tankal were resurfaced and the conrete tiles for the third farrowing pen are installed, We have 2 pigs due 1st week of March and one during the 3rd week.

The original male piglet we kept to study growth rates on is nearing slaughter size. We are about 5% behind the US average in weight for age but still within norm. He will be sold in 3 weeks. His sister is a kilo or 2 bigger which puts her right on the money. I am very happy as she is pure landrace and the best growers seem to be hybrids. I am hoping she will produce above normal growers.

The mama of the 2 pigs is having Large White/Landrace piglets in 3.5 weeks. She and one of the gilts got their pre-farrow vaccinations Strep Shield and Pili Shield to prevent newborn scours

Ariel has collected about 3 cubic meters of leaves and twigs as well as about 0.5 cubic meters of carabau poop. They will be added to current compost cubicle.

Mrs Oz has started 100 "manila tamarind", known as Kamonsil locally (Pithecellobium dulce) is a very thorny tree that can be used as a living fence. Its also a good legume that makes great ruminant feed. A hedge made of Kamonsil should deter future fence jumpers.

Chabi the goat is doing well. He received a worming treatment and CD/T vaccine yesterday.

He is not used to being handled and uses his horns to try and tell you he is boss. Its amazing how effective a squirt bottle is a taming a goat. 2 shots at the eyes and ears and he comes to a complete standstill.

Busy times continue at Cocobeach.

Mrs Oz has started 100 "manila tamarind", known as Kamonsil locally (Pithecellobium dulce) is a very thorny tree that can be used as a living fence. Its also a good legume that makes great ruminant feed. A hedge made of Kamonsil should deter future fence jumpers.

Love it. A fence that can multitask.

Back
Top Bottom