Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

Happy New Year all.

Only 29 here. So cold this morning the hens refused to come out and the SLW roo was not having that. He came out by himself and when the hens did not come out he went back inside and actually chased all of them out. He is one crazy roo. I laugh at him every day because of his antics.

Glad you had a safe trip Oz. Hope you carried your golf bag with you.
wink.png

I haven't posted in quite some time. Been busy with the family, a new house, and a taxidermy business. The wife and I plan to rebuild our flock this spring due to the fact we had to sell them before moving. We had no time to build proper shelter for the flock. We are "production" oriented in our flock so we will have 15-18 white leghorns and 15-18 brown layers, both from Hy-line hatchery. We have 9 kids and go through around 12-18 eggs daily so we like the production birds.

This morning in east-central Missouri, it was 10 degrees F....burr.
Take care everyone and have a fun and safe celebration for the New Year.

Lucas

10,000 posts on page 1000 ALMOST on 1/1/2015, not bad folks.
lol.png

We had a hard frost last night. The chicks in the coop weren't happy, but they survived just fine. They've got haybales for walls, and a heat plate.. but I'm sure they're missing the 65F room they were in. Their water had no signs of ice, so it wasn't that cold in their area. They're doing chicky things, so all is well.

I am glad you are back, although you would prefer to be with your family. At least all of you are safe and prosperous. That is a great way to end 2014 and to start off in 2015!

Happy New Year, Oz, to you, yours, and everyone on this tread!

piglett...are those buffs english...? I have an english rooster (87.5% english) covering american standard bo's tryin to get bigger hens/eggs. I hope my experiment works. Trying to get some size in the flock. Have you tried that...? I Have a GREAT rooster...he is a beauty...I lucked onto him at between 5-6 months old. His name is 'General Lee', at least one of his offspring will be 'Jeb Stewart' :) Hoping to get some of the english size yet maintain the good laying characteristics of the AM standard bo's.

This is my 1st post but both my wife and I have been following this thread for several months now...we have read it all and look forward every day to see what's happening.

Here is a picture of 'the General'.

Oz...glad you made it home safe and sound. I was reading about all the flying problems in that area (as news items) and was wondering how things were going.
chuck

Happy New Year all.

Only 29 here. So cold this morning the hens refused to come out and the SLW roo was not having that. He came out by himself and when the hens did not come out he went back inside and actually chased all of them out. He is one crazy roo. I laugh at him every day because of his antics.

Glad you had a safe trip Oz. Hope you carried your golf bag with you.
wink.png
I thought the golf bag had to go every trip?
Scott

Back
Top Bottom