Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

we have 5 breeding age sows

4 are pregnant.

1 should get serviced this week

April 29, may 16 and may 20 are farrowing days

it wont be long until we are swimming in piglets

the legbar was dropped to lower priority. we will cicle back to her

Wow, that's a lot of piglets!
What's the average amount of piglets they give birth to?
How much can you get for a piglet?

Wow, that's a lot of piglets!
What's the average amount of piglets they give birth to?
How much can you get for a piglet?
with new gilts we expect 8-10 piglets, sows 10-14

for fattener type piglets at 7-10 kg we get $53 per piglet and then $2 per kg. market weight is 95kg and we get $200 should we chose to grow.
for landrace gilt piglets it $85 at 7-10kg, A 65kg pure landrace gilt will sell for $245

5 sows should yield 120 piglets per year anf gross about $6500. $1200 of that goes to labor and $3000 to feed.

My life has been a little crazy but I am back!

I have settled into Spokane quite nicely. I am staying in a basic suite hotel courtesy of my employer. I have about three months on their dime so I will take advantage of it. Work has been long hours. Its nice to be challenged though.

Back on the farm things are going well. We had a new doeling born Valentines day. There should be two more kids born this month. We pick up the new buck in about six weeks. At that time I will sell the three bucklings we have. I am also posting for sale two of our does that are now too low a percentage dairy goat. They are 1-2 months pregnant to Chabi.

The pigs are growing well. We finished the renovations on the old tankals so now we have 4 extra pens to house pigs. This gives us 9 pens. That will be enough for a while.

I made an error with the heater location on the new incubator and burnt out the 8” fan when we tested it so I need a new fan. I may use a bathroom exhaust fan that I can get locally.

We are still selling every bird we can hatch.

We have a new dog on the farm. Bruno is a pug cross beagle. An aunt could no longer care for him. The kids adore him and he takes the pressure off Hector who tolerates but is not keen on kids antics.

Welcome all noobs.

I will try and be more engaged now I am settling,

Now its off to Supercuts for a much need haircut!

Go mohawk

Oz, Dollar for dollar, do you pigs make more money than the chickens?
oh heck no

for day old chicks i get $4-8. three week olds $7-10..

2 chickens earn me as much as a sow does over a year, pigs are just cuter and i love the challenge. as long as they pay for themselves

my feed bill is 45% chickens 50% pigs 5% goats

we use about 1.4 tons per month at $950 per ton

Wow, don't let my DH see this....he will expect me to make money with my flock....of course, maybe if I tell him we would have to move the the Philippines to do that, it will change his mind!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom