Give me goat info please!

JSossong

Songster
7 Years
Mar 8, 2014
Western PA
I just recently began thinking of owning a goat, mainly for milk and eventually meat. I've only read small amounts about goats and don't really know where to start. So I figured I'd post something here and see if I could get any advice!

Does anyone out there own goats?
What breeds? And how many?
What are you raising them for?
What do you do with their milk?
Are they easy to care for?
Do you think its worth the money and effort spent?
Etc, etc....

All/any advice, input or stories are welcomed!
Please help me decide whether or not a goat will be good for me!
Thanks x a million!

Does anyone out there own goats? Lots :)
What breeds? And how many? Sables (colored Saanens) x 10, Meat/Nubian crosses x 2 - don't have alot right now, was up to the60 range for awhile though.
What are you raising them for? Mainly milk, I sell kids for show and family milkers, and sell the excess bucks at the auction.
What do you do with their milk? drink it, make soap, make cheese, feed the chickens and the pigs
Are they easy to care for? They are not the easiest animal to care for that I've ever had (pigs and chickens top the list for ease for me), but they aren't "hard" as long as you give them what they need.
Do you think its worth the money and effort spent? Most days... lol
Etc, etc....

Now your ease of care and money input is going to depend a lot on what kind of pasture you can offer them, if you already have existing shelter, etc. Do you have a pasture and or browse for them? Is it easy/cheap to get hay in your area? What about grain? If you have milkers, you will more than likely be feeding them grain during milking. There will also be the ocassional vet costs, plus vaccine/medicine costs. You will need to learn to trim their feet or have them trimmed. If you're raising dairy goats, chances are you will want to disbud the kids so they don't get horns, can you do that or will you have it done? You will need secure fencing for your goats. Height and level of security will depend on type of goats and type of predators in your area. What about shelter? They need at minimum a 3 sided lean to, and really a shed of some sort is better. If you are milking, you'll need a place to milk in also. Speaking of milking... are you willing to set aside time twice a day to milk a goat? You can eventually take them to once a day, but at first it's twice a day. What will you do with the extra kids? Will you keep a buck to breed your does to, or send them out for breeding? Keeping them on property will require a seperate pasture area and shelter. Goats don't like to be alone, they are herd animals, so you need at least two. And no... a horse/burro/cow/sheep will not work well as a companion.
A few things to think about.. lol.
The best part of goats is that they are just so wonderful. I can't imagine ever spending life without them!

OHHH and, whenever you get ready to purchase your goats, please please please buy them from a reputable source. Don't go buy them from an auction. There are some goat diseases out there and I really would hate for you to start out your herd and contaminate your property right off the bat.

Last edited:
I just recently began thinking of owning a goat, mainly for milk and eventually meat. I've only read small amounts about goats and don't really know where to start. So I figured I'd post something here and see if I could get any advice!

Does anyone out there own goats? [GD26] Not yet, but I have read books on goats and visited several farms when I as looking.
What breeds? And how many? [GD26] The Kinder is a breed you might want to look into. They are listed as a dual purpose breed. They are the size of a miniature goat so only expect half the milk of the full size French Dairy Goats. The La Mancha and Nubian are large dairy goats and migh suite you desire for milk now and meat later on.
What are you raising them for? [GD26] We were looking for milk only and were going to get two miniature does that we would rotate breeding every 6 months.
What do you do with their milk? [GD26] We drink a lot of milk at our house, and I also make yogurt and cheese.
Are they easy to care for? [GD26] I spend an hour on my chicken chores and didn't have time for goats which is why we haven't got any yet. My brother has 3-4 mixed breed full size dairy goats and spends less time on his chicken and goat chores than I do on my chickens. (I have 12+ pens of chickens and my brother with goats only has one pen of chickens).
Do you think its worth the money and effort spent? [GD26] even at $16 a gallon for milk you will probably come out better buying milk that owning a goat, but I would still rather own my own goat, so I am going t say yes.
Etc, etc....

Please help me decide whether or not a goat will be good for me! [GD26] It really depends on what space and time you have for them. Do you have trees and bushes for them to browse on? Do you have appropriate fencing for goats? Are they divided up so to can rotate which pastures they are on? Do you have a breeder near by that you can take your does to when they need to be breed? Do you have a vet near you that will see goats?
Thanks x a million!

Last edited:

Does anyone out there own goats?
What breeds? And how many?
What are you raising them for?
What do you do with their milk?
Are they easy to care for?
Do you think its worth the money and effort spent?
Etc, etc....

Please help me decide whether or not a goat will be good for me!
Thanks x a million!

Yes
Nigerian Dwarf x 4
Milk, pets, etc.
Drink it, make cheese and other products with it.
IMO, yes.
Again, IMO,yes.

They can be destructive, are escape artists, and are stubborn and head-strong. They are also sweet, great weed-whackers, and are fantastic little companions.
I wouldn't trade them for anything
roll.png

Go to adga.org. That is the web site of the American Dairy Goat Assn. They can send you some information. You can also get pamphlets from the farm advisor's office. Go to caprinesupply.com and send for a catalog. Their catalog contains a wealth of information.

Thank you all for your advice and input! I have lots of research and thinking to do. Right now I wouldn't have the time for a goat(s) addition but it is something that I want for sure in the future. So I suppose I'll have plenty of time for mapping it all out

Back
Top Bottom