Going head to head with a Horned goat pic added 5/9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
i can turn my back on my goat..no problem! maybe you cant because you played this way with yours also?? and then they thought it was okay to jump on you?? .... but..i most certainly CAN turn my back on my goats.
roll.png

i can do the same thing to and it wont do anything, its like you guys are saying i training this thing to attack and im not im PLAYING with it

bock..i'm sorry..either you are being obtuse on purpose...or you REALLY do not understand how goats think....which is scary since you own one.

Ok, here is my opinion on this. I completely understand the fun playing w/ the goat! I don't believe there was any harm to the goat or people involved. HOWEVER! The other people are right that the goat is being taught bad habits.

When I was a kid we had a pygmy/alpine/nubian doe that we bottle raised, we were older kids (12+) and it was alot of fun to push her and run, get her riled up and run from her, she'd do the same, jump on hind legs, she never progressed to head butting but she didn't diffentiate between one person to the next, she knew who her favorite playmates were, but new people were fair game to try and goad into a game! I guess more then anything she scared people, and I wouldn't doubt some left telling others we had an aggressive animal. If someone got scared and ran, of course she chased them which didn't help matters! For a time she had free run of the property. Now we taught her that!! It was fun for us and her, and we didn't see the harm. People did get hurt by her, she wasn't intentially hurting anyone, but because of the way we played w/ her, hard to explain exactly, but basically she was quicker to react w/ her head, wasn't a problem for adults and older children, a bump w/ her horns didn't cause any harm, but a child's face lined up about where her horns were, so if she turned her head to quickly she could get them in the face, and she did bloody a few lips. Now I realize any horned goat can accidently hit someone w/ a horn, but it was the way she moved because of how we played w/ her that made it abit more likely w/ her. Now of course we could prevent anyone from getting hurt by keeping her locked up all the time, but was that really fair to her? Because of what 'we' did?

I fully understand not seeing the harm in playing w/ the goat, but I think the OP would have more easily listened and considered what was being said if it had been brought up alittle differently. No one really explained 'why' it was bad (and I think people were confussed about what the problem was), instead of making it sound like he was stupid or lacked common since.

I have a similar story about one of my dogs! And I've seen people do things equally dangerous w/ dogs. (I don't really get the training doesn't make a different comments, so why do we do it then? Yes animals are animals so you should always take proper precausions, but training and not teaching bad habits give you the best change of not being hurt).

I could teach my goats bad habits and prevent anyone from being in danger by not allowing them in the pen, but is that really fair to the goats, or the children that live here? They aren't even allowed to interact w/ the animals? I want them to be able to learn about animals, how to care for them and interact w/ them, that isn't going to happen if they aren't even allowed in the pen! At some point I'd like them to be able to help w/ feeding, watering, milking, etc. but that ain't going to happen if they can't even enter the pen until they are 12 years old. It's easy to say don't leave them unattended, they never are! But if Baby was going to accidently injure someone w/ her horns, you could be standing right there and you wouldn't be able to stop it, so the only way would be not to let them in the pen, at all!! And if you sold the goat you wouldn't have any control!

I have a herd of Nubians, Boers, LaMancha, and nigis, the boers and one nubian are horned, I feel completely comfortable w/ the kids (human) being in the pen w/ any of them, and yes I regularly turn my back! The worst that happens is some of the nigi kids like hair, and my 2 year old neice (who loves to help bottle feed) doesn't like when they eat hers! And I do play w/ my goats! Running and jumping on things, hugging them and loving all over them, there is good play and there is bad play!

Wow that got long!! I'm sure I had more to say, but I better quit here!

Quote:
*snicker* and..you still say its okay to teach a dangerous animal to do this? think please before you respond ....

Quote:
ever been rammed by a 100 lb goat? ever been kicked in the face by one standing on its hind legs? i would guess not or you would not say that...
roll.png

My standard sized wethers like this guy weigh between 150 and 200 lbs, and some of my bucks can reach 330lbs. Not fun to be on the receiving end of it!

Quote:
Bock....my goat is also very very friendly! its NOT about him being mean and trying to kill you! its about...its a goats natural instinct to "play rough" with his herd mates...they ram each other ..stand on their hind legs and paw the air..etc... AND THAT IS VERY DANGEROUS TO HUMANS THAT HAVE TO CARE FOR THEM..FEED THEM...BE IN THEIR PENS DAILY! and if you dont teach him that playing this way with YOU (a human) IS WRONG... you are gonna regret it someday when he gets out of hand..(AND HE WILL)..but..anyways..you are not going to listen...you think its cool...
roll.png
...just keep doing what you are. youre right and all these people that have raised goats for many,many years are wrong,okay...does that work for you now? good luck kid!

this is what i dont understand how are you telling me what my goat is going to do you havnt even seen it besides in these pics please tell me how you know its gonna ram some unsuspecting person

LOL..because he rams yoooooou!
lau.gif

i can turn my back on my goat..no problem! maybe you cant because you played this way with yours also?? and then they thought it was okay to jump on you?? .... but..i most certainly CAN turn my back on my goats.

I most certainly *could* have turned my back on our goats. They were big babies. However, I use caution with ALL animals, from 2500 pound horses, to little tiny 5 pound dogs that can fit in my hand. I think its just common sense to use caution around animals. That's not to say I don't trust them and that I don't sometimes do stupid things, but I always try to keep my peripheral vision on the animal. I've worked with a lot of dangerous animals and perhaps this is the reason I am this way with animals. However, in almost all of my jobs, turning my back on an animal can cost me some serious injury, or even my life! There are very, very few animals I trust fully and completely.​

Bock...I hope you have a nice life insurance policy in place for your young daughter. If you continue to drive 100 miles an hour and live without regard to your own safety and that of others she may be without her daddy at a very young age.

Havirus, you are right, thank you for explaining your experiences.

I spent quite a few posts explaining goat behaviour and thought processes, and why this sort of thing shouldnt be allowed.

I dont think the OP will understand any way you word it.

pop.gif
This is like a train wreck....I just can't stop looking at the posts
hide.gif
Or like when my parents would argue and I'd put my ear to the heater vent to see which of us kids they were fighting about more
caf.gif

Quote:
this is what i dont understand how are you telling me what my goat is going to do you havnt even seen it besides in these pics please tell me how you know its gonna ram some unsuspecting person

LOL..because he rams yoooooou!
lau.gif

he doest ram me i stay far enough from him to do this, and like i have said before he only does this when he know si am playing with him, he has never done this nay other time, do you need me get you some glasses so you can read wher ei keep typing that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom