Good treats for baby chicks

Can I use diatomaceous earth? It's supposed to get rid of pests.

DE is a respiratory irritant. Chickens have VERY delicate respiratory systems.

If your coop is infested so that your baby chicks have parasites it's much better to use a truly effective insecticide. Here's a useful article: https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...-fleas-dealing-with-external-parasites.74599/

If your coop is not infested and your baby chicks don't have parasites then there's no reason to treat them for anything.

A dustbath of plain dirt is all they need to keep their feathers in good order. :)

DE is a respiratory irritant. Chickens have VERY delicate respiratory systems.

If your coop is infested so that your baby chicks have parasites it's much better to use a truly effective insecticide. Here's a useful article: https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...-fleas-dealing-with-external-parasites.74599/

If your coop is not infested and your baby chicks don't have parasites then there's no reason to treat them for anything.

A dustbath of plain dirt is all they need to keep their feathers in good order :)
Okay but I use it for my chickens and nothing bad ever happens. However I don't have dirt on hand, so I'll try to dig some up but unfortunately in this area I have mostly clay for dirt. They're not in my coop just yet. Also my chickens are NOT infested with worms

Okay but I use it for my chickens and nothing bad ever happens. However I don't have dirt on hand, so I'll try to dig some up but unfortunately in this area I have mostly clay for dirt. They're not in my coop just yet. Also my chickens are NOT infested with worms

If they're not infested there's nothing to treat and no reason to take the risk of exposing them to something that could hurt their lungs.

Also boiled eggs and scrambled eggs. it doesn't have to be a high nutrition snack, as long as they are getting chick feed and not too many treats, you can feed them oatmeal, i think.

Some of you might know that I recently hatched out 20 chicks. Now I'm lost on what to give them for treats, because I tried boiled mashed eggs and they seem to be turning their beaks up at it. I tried bits of grape, a bit of apple, and a bit of celery, but everything else... Well let's just say I'm not an expert on treats for these guys. The chicks are supposed to like the boiled eggs! I have chick grit, before you ask. But they don't like the eggs. Any "vegetarian" suggestions for treats for chicks?
Once my chicks were about 3 weeks I gave them zucchini and watermelon and lettuce. Only a little bit and only every other day. But I would make them start eating it from my hands so they knew when they see me and my hands coming it’s always for good. I got them to trust me this way. I also gave them BSFL when they were a bit older. To this day Zucchini ,watermelon and lettuce are the absolute favorite treats.

I toss mealworms in, one at a time. I enjoy watching the poultry keepers version of football. While it breaks up the chicks monotony while in brooder. It also helps keep them from receiving too many. Even when being raised by a hen. It is rare that they come across more than one tasty, creepy, crawly critter at a time. I avoid giving fruit and vegetable treats in the brooder. What they don’t eat, they stomp into a mess. Making for more frequent full on brooder clean outs.

True, but it's winter here and, well a true Canadian winter. I've tried everything I've heard, but I DO want to spoil them until they can't be spoiled any more. That's just what I like to do with the chickens, is spoil them rotten.
Hahah I know I love them sooo much and want them to be happy I put a tarp or something on the ground then take all of them out right now I only have three chicks though and let them run around they love to run and jump perch and snuggle with me very sweet they eat off my hand I give mine a little bit of oatmeal crushed but not very much if they think your their mommy they will just about eat whatever you offer them make sure you offer grit too

Back
Top Bottom