Goslings of 2014 Hatch-a-long

Iain Utah
All eggs arrived nice and safe, now sitting to settle air cells til tomorrow night and then we will see how it goes.
Fingers crossed, especially on the whites.

I have only hatched goslings in an incubator and then given them to adults to raise when they are anywhere from a few days to a couple of weeks old. Last year, Beignet (my production Toulouse goose) laid a late round of eggs in June and went broody. I left her alone. A month later she hatched 4 of 5 eggs and she and her mate raised them up. The goose in the picture half-heartedly tried to go broody late in the season, but she had no eggs to sit on and gave up after a day or two.
Oh, I hope she sits it out this time, then! I have, as you know, Pilgrim types, and they´re very good brooders, so I just leave them to it. My cross-breeds have proved to be ok, too.
Many many moons ago I had some little button quails that laid eggs but never brooded them. so, my then boyfriend (became hubby) made an incubator for me. We had no idea about humidity and stuff. I just tried to keep the heat up with a bulb, and and put a glass of water in there. (No Pete´s Guide, nor BYC, even!) Surprisingly, one little chick hatched! I got a lot of bad eggs, though, so decided it wasn´t a good idea. I now just leave the birds to do it!
lol.png

Iain Utah
All eggs arrived nice and safe, now sitting to settle air cells til tomorrow night and then we will see how it goes.
Fingers crossed, especially on the whites.

Glad to hear it! Please keep me posted on how they develop and fingers crossed for a great hatch!

:love                    Just wait till you have tinies then Moose will really look gigantic. 

Will he be ok adding new babies? I worry, because my own Goosie was added to a Bunche of goslings about three weeks older and some turkeys that all hatched together, and they beat her up so badly that she was expected to die.

But here she is a year later, happy as a clam.

Will he be ok adding new babies? I worry, because my own Goosie was added to a Bunche of goslings about three weeks older and some turkeys that all hatched together, and they beat her up so badly that she was expected to die.

But here she is a year later, happy as a clam.
Introductions will have to be done slowly. I'm happy to hear your goose made it through that.

Back
Top Bottom