Got a suggestion for super-quiet hens in a small-lot suburb?

I understand that, which is why she should do no such thing. My question is, did the neighbor ASK her to do this research? Did she ASK for an opinion?
I think the answer was in the first post:
If there's a breed that's actually quiet...I'd say right on, do it, eggs and fertilizer are great. But they're not great enough to substitute for enough sleep and the ability to work.

There's some possibility the neighbor-consent rule will be brought up again soon here and I want to be prepared.

I think OP is doing research, to learn whether "quiet" chickens are even possible. (That sounds very sensible to me-- learning a bit more about chickens so she can make an informed decision whether to say "yes" or "no" in future.)

Hello! I am that one neighbor lady who works nights and really just can't have a lot of noise next door. I've been in my house for 20 years and had lots of neighbors, including neighbors with dogs and young children, but never had a chronic noise problem before the current neighbors, who also want chickens.

The current neighbors have a sweet but extremely loud child -- think "sleep wearing noise-cancelling headphones with white noise playing and earplugs and they can still wake you up when backyard-shrieking next door." They're also not people who respond well to requests for...just...some stable quiet times. We have 1/8 acre lots -- my house is literally feet from theirs. If the guy is outside on his phone he's basically in my house, I can hear every word with the double-glazed windows closed.

We have a backyard chicken ordinance that currently requires all neighbors to give consent, and I think roosters are not allowed, hens only. I've no idea what the others have said, but given how the chicken-wanting neighbors respond to "please, please can I have some quiet sometimes," I'm not keen on making next door even noisier, so I've said no.

If there's a breed that's actually quiet -- remember, we're not out in the country, we're in a small metro city with small lots and thin walls -- think a 40' x 60' backyard, so basically a practically silent bird, actually silent would be ideal -- I'd say right on, do it, eggs and fertilizer are great. But they're not great enough to substitute for enough sleep and the ability to work.

There's some possibility the neighbor-consent rule will be brought up again soon here and I want to be prepared.

TIA for your suggestions --
Seramas are quieter then a mouse. listen to their crows online, its insane how quiet and not to often they crow! Super docile, but their small and are around 5-6 inches tall tops. Their chirps are more like a breath of air, love them. not good under 40 * F though, and better indoor chickens and very friendly !

And looking for a less small chicken breed, cochins and silkies are pretty quiet, very friendly! Just some downsides to them to. :(
example = silkies arent great in cold weather as their feathers are more like fluff.

Also, where do you live? (Sorry if i missed it if you already said) because im in connecticut and possibly breeding silkies or giving fertile eggs to be sold in spring if that would be a possibility? Would be willing to give you cheap eggs

Those breeds could all make great pets, but none of them lay very many eggs. Whether that is a problem would depend on why a person wants chickens.
I had mentioned that in a dm with OP I beileve.
i couldnt mention everything, somewhat because i suppose id just give them a recommendation of some friendly quiet human friendly chickens, I had also told them they had their fair share of downsides.

well, here it is for anyone else curious.
seramas lay every other day, starting around 5 months, usually around 200 a year. Size: small. Weight: 1 OZ *cream*

silkies can stop laying at periods of a time and are poor layers. Starting around 7-9 months. Silkies have usually between 80-120 eggs per year Size: Small. Weight: typically 1.25 - 2 OZ *White*

my experince with them anyway, as a owner of multiple silkies and a serama.

not good for produce, meat or egg wise. Obviously serama not good for size at all and is purely ornamental, okay egg production, 1 OZ worth of eggs so :confused:

Last edited:
I had mentioned that in a dm with OP I beileve.
i couldnt mention everything, somewhat because i suppose id just gave them a recommendation of some friendly quiet pet human friendly chickens, I had also told them they had their fair share of downsides.

I was responding in this thread to your posts in this thread, so it's there for anyone else researching the subject of quiet chickens. (Also, I had no idea what you did or didn't say in a dm.)

I was responding in this thread to your posts in this thread, so it's there for anyone else researching the subject of quiet chickens. (Also, I had no idea what you did or didn't say in a dm.)
no i know, i was just saying i thought i had said something about egg size in a dm.

Lots of really good feedback already in the post. Here's my experience:

I also live in the city, and our city ordinances are no roosters and max of 5 hens. Currently, I'm down to three - two silkies and a black australorp. When I was doing my research about noise factors and egg laying and docile natures, silkies were high on the list for docile and noise, not so great for egg laying. Australorps were supposed to be decent for noise and docile characteristics. Our backyard is larger than yours (I believe the house and yard are 1/3 acre if memory serves correct). But noise carries. Now, the caveat here is thusly: Darling neighbors on one side have an anxious dog and very loud dad but are superb people and they honestly can't hear the chickens, which shocks me. Folks behind them have a very young child that is on the spectrum and screams when things go awry. He has gotten better. However, the neighbors directly behind me have a rock band (I kid you not) and it's the drummer that lives there. They also have a 30 year old Amazon parrot that when he screeches, it is LOUD, sounds like Jurassic Park, and my neighbors previously thought that it was living in OUR house! So when we got the chickens, despite my worry, they honestly aren't the loudest part of our busy little neighborhood.

That said, there's two instances that can be super annoying. One: The egg song. The girls want you to know they popped one out. It's important. And they are going to do so at the top of their little velociraptor lungs. And it can go on. And on. It's a natural part of their process, and it is LOUD. Usually these happen in the morning, but it can be any time of day.

Two: The intruder alert cacophony. If unfamiliar predators enter the yard (cat, hawk, racoon, dog, whatever), the hens will let out this insanely loud alarm song, something combined with the egg song and pretty much screeching, because their lives depend on it. I'm trying my best to not run out there right away, but rather look through the windows to make sure there's nothing I need to chase off. Because the girls are smart, despite it all, and I don't want them putting two and two together that if you make the alarm, mom comes out with treatos to shut you up. So there's that.

AND I almost forgot, the "I want to lay, get out of the damn nesting box Poppy otherwise I'll screech louder at you" sound. That one I actually find the most vexing (don't get me wrong, I love my girls!). Like, just get in there, push the broody girl over, and lay the damn egg for goodness sake! This, too, can go on for yet a few minutes to hours.

So if you're already having problems with the noise in your adjacent yards, chickens will most certainly be the thing that makes you snap. I'm so sorry. Do I love my hens? Of course. But I get it. Thanks for asking.

Back
Top Bottom