HALLOWEEN Hatch-a-Long 2016 w/ Hosts, Mike, Sally & BantyChooks

Calling all Silkie experts!

My 10 week old! A male or female?

Thanks in advance everyone!

Last edited:
Calling all Silkie experts!

My 10 week old! A male or female?

Thanks in advance everyone!
I'm no expert, but it looks female to me. My rooster has crazy hair on his head. He's a showgirl, but they show the same streamers, from what I can tell.

Edited to add a pic of my rooster at 2 months. He had more comb development than the girls, but he doesn't exactly have the walnut comb that is traditional.

And here he's almost 4 months old:

Edited again, because I change my mind if the comb is turning red. It kind of looks reddish in the picture. If it has color to it, then I say rooster.

Last edited:
Hello everyone. I've been offline for a while; had my final exams for college, and preparations for Hurricane Matthew. Well, I have good news. The storm passed by my area of Florida with very little damage and only lost power for about 5 minutes.

Had a hen go broody a week or so before the storm was to come through. So, I gave her six ducklings (3 khaki campbell, 3 muscovy). She and her brood weathered the storm in the house.

Also, DS's FFA chicks hatched in the midst of the storm. And some are still hatching.
Current numbers:
2 Millie Fleur d'Uccle set and hatched
7 Salmon Faverolle set, 4 hatched, 1 pipped, 2 questionable

Last edited:
Hello everyone. I've been offline for a while; had my final exams for college, and preparations for Hurricane Matthew. Well, I have good news. The storm passed by my area of Florida with very little damage and only lost power for about 5 minutes.

Had a hen go broody a week or so before the storm was to come through. So, I gave her six ducklings (3 khaki campbell, 3 muscovy). She and her brood weathered the storm in the house.

Also, DS's FFA chicks hatched in the midst of the storm. And some are still hatching.
Current numbers:

I am glad that you are ok. I was wondering how the chickens on the east coast were fairing from that hurricane over there. Nice chicks!

Current numbers:

Adorable! Glad you were able to fair well through the storm. :)

Hi all! Joining in on the halloween hatch a long, got some silver laced wyandottes and olive eggers in the mail today, will be set tomorrow. They are going to be due for the weekend right before halloween
wee.gif

Hello,
First time incubator here. Loved reading all the incubating and hatching posts here, but they just weakened my resolve to wait till this spring to try my luck, but I just couldn't let my new incubators just sit empty any longer! With any luck I'll get to see some new fuzzy butts in a few (long!) weeks!

Back
Top Bottom