Has anbody here tried one of the Sunny Side Up Incubators for 6 eggs?

Hi forgot to say
welcome-byc.gif
I think you really could make one much cheaper that would be more likely to hatch eggs. You could probably sell it after on craigslist to cover most of the money it cost to make it. You can normally find coolers and light duty house extension cord at resale places like salvation army really cheap, you could buy a good wafer thermostat for under $25.00, light bulb and lamp hook and then you just need a hygrometer & thermometer. Think how cool it would be to hatch eggs in something you made. The kids would learn so much more. Check out the learning center for how to's and lots of people on here that can help if, you need it.
Also post where you live and there may even be a BYC member that you could borrow a incubator from. Can't hurt to put the request out there in the Buy/Sell/Trade section on the forum. Good Luck

Last edited:
Could it be uses as a hatcher if modified with a. Wh thermostat?
Lots of people use a lower wh thermostat but it needs to be mounted close to the heat source with the back silver side out. I drilled holes in my wh thermostat to make it more sinsitive. It is in my garage brooder and it's working Great. I have a 250 w brooder light and a red 60 w reptile heat bulb hooked up to it. After testing today - I installed a remote sensor (for a indoor/outdoor thermometer) on the wall in the brooder, it is away from the heat lamps so I know how comfortable they are. The indoor/outdoor thermometer shows 80 degrees in the brooder. I have another remote sensor showing real outdoor temps and it's 26 degrees outside. Loving not having to go out in the cold just to check
love.gif

So I just modified this sunnyside up bator with a lower WHT. Works great but I am moving eggs to a hatcher for lockdown. Chicks will burn themselves in this unit.

4 of the 5 hatched, worked well but cannot hatch in it. Just incubate. It also comes with a 15 w bulb that needs to be replaced with a 7 w bulb. I turned eggs by tilting bator slightly several times daily. I wouldn't spend money on it though, with all the mods its just as much to build a bator with same parts out of a styrofoam cooler.

Back
Top Bottom