Has anyone ever raised Canada goose goslings?

Goosedragon, All I know is there was a article in the newspaper about asking the "public" to shake the eggs. Having raised geese for years it seems to me, a pretty dangerous thing to do.

There have been at times so many Canadian Geese (100's) that the parks had to fence off areas because of the droppings and lakes will be closed for swimming because of the chloroform count.
The Natives used to shoot them for food until the animal rights activist groups put a stop to it.
This year there doesn't seem to be as many Geese (or Bears).
I was joking about the Free Trade agreement.

Quote:
"Canada Geese are protected under the Federal Migratory Bird Act of 1918 . This Act makes it illegal to harm or injure a goose and damage or move its eggs and nest, without a Federal permit. Not complying with the Federal Act can result in fines ranging from $5,000 to $10,000 and this also applies to an untrained dog’s actions.. " like I said above game wardens etc may 'look the other way' in areas where the Canada is a pest but the law is on the books, I know because I turned in my Employer for destroying the nest of a single pair that that had nested on the bank of their decorative pond. They got off with a warning, I was never ID ed and then the fools built a fence around the pond, I didn't have the guts to point out that geese can fly. 12 goslings were very gently herded off the property a couple of months later....
BTW as a chemist I must point out that "chloroform" is the chemical name of a sweet smelling solvent. coliform is the type of bacteria that is counted to indicate the presence of poop

Quote:
You got goslings from a feed store in Motown!! What store is this? I wouldnt mind calling them to see if they have anymore!!

Yup, i think i am the only person in Livermore that raises wood ducks, heck, i may be the only one who raises ornamental waterfowl here, period!!! Well, besides my buddy who lives up by Mt.Hamilton!! Take care and have a great weekend!!.........Jason

Tell me about raising wood ducks them things are pretty good eating
big_smile.png

roy

Quote:
Roy, you are absolutely right, woodies are a very good eating duck, just because i raise them doesnt mean i wont pass on them during duck season on the marsh!! As for raising them for eating, at the price per pair, you'd be better off saving the money and going and having a nice peking duck dinner at a high end restaurant!!! Tastes even better and you dont have to feed, clean ponds, or clean-up after dinner!! Take care!!..............Jason

Quote:
I second this! I'm looking for a pair of goslings my self, but am having some serious trouble. Seems like either the breeders I knew have either sold off all their birds, or died within the last couple of years : ( Those that I do know out of state are not willing to ship goslings at 4-6 weeks even (which is understanable). I'm trying not to buy from a hatchery because I don't need 6 goslings...And the shipping from McMurry for 2 juvi Canadas just costs too much.

Jessica

We purchased newly hatched Canadas from Strombergs Hatchery, and they all survived and have thrived. We have raised lots of chickens (currently have 100 in the brooder now), but never geese before now. I read everything I could find prior to getting them, and made the decision to go ahead and imprint them rather than isolate them from the start. They have been an incredible pleasure to have, and our family just loves them! We are in New Mexico, and did have to get a Gamebird Propagation Permit from the Dept. of Game and Fish (at the state level). We also had to get an Import Permit, since they were being "imported" from another state. All in all, a relatively simple process. They do pick on the chickens some, and will run our cat off. However, they follow us everywhere, talking constantly and wanting to be with us all the time. As a side note, if you plan to sell, give away, trade Canadas, you must get a special permit from US Fish and Game as well.

Quote:
So glad you cleared that up! I'm getting geese next spring, and thought I had missed something in my reading, about goose poop creating chloroform! I could just see the chickens and cats walking around the yard and passing out!

I had a Canadian gosling, he was my first goose. He was the sweetest and the most intelligent little guy. He had a little Embden girlfriend that he took care of. Unfortunately, my moms basset killed him just a few weeks ago, but I still miss him very much. You can't go wrong with a Canadian.
love.gif

Where in the world can u get canadian goose eggs or goslings. There is a waiting list everywhere I look. No prob with the license. Let me know where I can get a few. Please

Back
Top Bottom