Has anyone used this hatchery?

Not to startle you, or break your sense of security, but your chickens aren't safe from Mereks, even given your circumstances. Its often carried by wild birds and you can pick it up on your clothes and shoes just by walking where others with infected birds have been.

That being said, I don't vaccinate either.
X 2. Marek's is worldwide. If you have chickens they have likely been exposed at some point. From wild birds, rodents, the wind, human contamination and so on. Just because there are no other chickens near you, or none of your current chickens have ever had symptoms, that doesn't mean Marek's can't be or hasn't been present. Even the vaccine doesn't prevent a bird from being infected with Marek's, it only gives the immune system a jump start to prevent tumors from forming. More information can be found here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq

I am also another that does not vaccinate.

I also choose not to vaccinate. I've read that having turkeys in your yard affords some immunity to the lethal form of Mareks. They carry a less virulent strain. Kind of like the milk maids of years ago being immune to small pox because they'd had cow pox. I have lots of wild turkeys here, and would not vaccinate, even if that were not so.

Not to startle you, or break your sense of security, but your chickens aren't safe from Mereks, even given your circumstances. Its often carried by wild birds and you can pick it up on your clothes and shoes just by walking where others with infected birds have been.

That being said, I don't vaccinate either.

Have you had any complications with Merek's? I am curious what the statistical likelihood would be that my girls would pick it up.

Have you had any complications with Merek's? I am curious what the statistical likelihood would be that my girls would pick it up.

likelihood of Mareks, look in the backyard chickens search for Mareks or Mareks in your flock. I've watched my old Silkies breeder loose her entire flock of beautiful birds to Mareks. It can actually travel Miles in the wind alone! your birds can actually HAVE Mareks and have NO symptoms but be carriers and infect others. After the issue with my Silkie breeder, YES I do vaccinate. please do research Mareks. it will suprise you how it's everywhere. My breeder said she didn't vaccinate either. never had a problem..Until she got Mareks in her flock. She couldn't sell anymore and lost the most beautiful birds. Now she DOES vaccinate and seeing what she went through, I do too. She didn't live too far from me. I figure, it could just as easily happen to me..

likelihood of Mareks, look in the backyard chickens search for Mareks or Mareks in your flock. I've watched my old Silkies breeder loose her entire flock of beautiful birds to Mareks. It can actually travel Miles in the wind alone! your birds can actually HAVE Mareks and have NO symptoms but be carriers and infect others. After the issue with my Silkie breeder, YES I do vaccinate. please do research Mareks. it will suprise you how it's everywhere. My breeder said she didn't vaccinate either. never had a problem..Until she got Mareks in her flock. She couldn't sell anymore and lost the most beautiful birds. Now she DOES vaccinate and seeing what she went through, I do too. She didn't live too far from me. I figure, it could just as easily happen to me..
Agreed I always vaccinate. It's better to be same then sorry. And it's a terrible disease. Iv never had a problem thank the lord. But iv always vaccinated to cheap to not do it in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom