Hatching Goose eggs

Yes, looks like poop. But all's well that ends well and so far all 3 are healthy and doing well.

It's an oil filled electric radiator, no fumes.
smile.png

All the goslings are doing well, one of them is now standing up properly, but the other two don't seem to be able to find their legs.
Is that normal at this stage?
They look a bit pathetic with their legs and big feet sticking out either side of them.

All the goslings are doing well, one of them is now standing up properly, but the other two don't seem to be able to find their legs.
They look a bit pathetic with their legs and big feet sticking out either side of them.
Are they on a slippery surface? I put all my babies on shelf liner so they don't get splayed legs. If not, then they may just need to rest more.

That does sound like spraddle legs. I'll get you some info.If they are on newspaper or something slippery you need to get them off asap. Self liner or old clean towels something they can grip.

Read this it's for all poultry and has good info about how to fix spraddle legs.https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

Last edited:
Thanks for the link Miss Lydia, I originally put them on paper, but realised quite quickly that it was no good and changed it for rough sawdust. 2 of the chicks are perfect, running and jumping around, the 3rd one still has a problem but I keep setting it back on it's feet and even help hold it up when it walks. The legs seem to be quite a bit better tonight and I shall keep trying with it tomorrow, I think may be it is going to be ok. One side was much better than the other and I think as it gets stronger and with my prompting it is going to be ok.

I will know if I ever see it again that prompt action has to be taken.

Thanks for the link Miss Lydia, I originally put them on paper, but realised quite quickly that it was no good and changed it for rough sawdust. 2 of the chicks are perfect, running and jumping around, the 3rd one still has a problem but I keep setting it back on it's feet and even help hold it up when it walks. The legs seem to be quite a bit better tonight and I shall keep trying with it tomorrow, I think may be it is going to be ok. One side was much better than the other and I think as it gets stronger and with my prompting it is going to be ok.

I will know if I ever see it again that prompt action has to be taken.
thumbsup.gif
I'd still be careful with the saw dust. at least for the first couple weeks.

Back
Top Bottom