Hatching Goose eggs

I've removed the sawdust and replaced it with an old towel.

The 3rd gosling is walking and running about fine now, panic over.

I've removed the sawdust and replaced it with an old towel.

The 3rd gosling is walking and running about fine now, panic over.
Great news!! More pics?
pop.gif

Here are some pictures of our Goslings. I have included a photo of the straddle legged Gosling in it's box yesterday.It didn't stay in there long, even with it's legs tied together lol

For my next query..... Is it likely that one of the Goslings is being picked on by the other two?

Every time they stand still two of them peck at his back. It's almost like it has become a habit, I have had a look and I can't see anything wrong with it's skin or fluff that would be annoying it, but even "it" keeps having a go at itself. Any ideas?

Here are some pictures of our Goslings. I have included a photo of the straddle legged Gosling in it's box yesterday.It didn't stay in there long, even with it's legs tied together lol

For my next query..... Is it likely that one of the Goslings is being picked on by the other two?

Every time they stand still two of them peck at his back. It's almost like it has become a habit, I have had a look and I can't see anything wrong with it's skin or fluff that would be annoying it, but even "it" keeps having a go at itself. Any ideas?
Seems gosling have a habit of this. try putting some things in their brooder so stuffed animals and even a mirror with out sharp edges so they can see themselves and get their minds off each other so much. They sure are cute. and since the one is even going at himself it could be just itchy make sure your temp in the brooder is the right temp should be around 85 first week then drop 5* each week there after.

Last edited:
I'm getting 8 geese eggs tomorrow, but I have never hatched them before, and I don't know what to do, they are White embden, can u please explain to me what to do from putting them in day 1 to hatching them, what humidity they need to be at, what temp, how long, I don't know anything about them, but I really would love to hatch them, thanks to everyone who helps :)

I'm getting 8 geese eggs tomorrow, but I have never hatched them before, and I don't know what to do, they are White embden, can u please explain to me what to do from putting them in day 1 to hatching them, what humidity they need to be at, what temp, how long, I don't know anything about them, but I really would love to hatch them, thanks to everyone who helps
smile.png
Best information there is.. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...-for-breeding-incubating-hatching-and-rearing

what I do is tear up a section of a an egg carton...drench it in steamy hot water and then place it in the incubator..it stays warm...and keeps the moisture about 5 hours....I do this about 4 times a day.this keeps the eggs in good shape....fluctuating is ok as long as it never goes over 103...........jean in idaho

Hi, I have a question for you. I have been incubating toulouse geese, temp. at 99.5, misting daily, turning an odd number of times daily, and I've kept my humidity between 45-50% and achieved accurate weight loss so far, but my question is regarding lockdown and when to stop turning. I have read several places to stop turning on day 25 and put them into lockdown and raise your humidity, I have also read that you can turn the eggs until they externally pip and then put them in lockdown and raise the humidity, I don't know which way would be best? I have two eggs that I quit turning on Day 25 and I have some more to soon follow, but for the one's that have not been turned for a couple days (now day 27), should I resume turning until they pip internally or if by me not turning for the last couple days and then resuming, would that harm them? I've also been told not to candle during lockdown, please help! I would greatly appreciate any advice!

Hi, I have a question for you. I have been incubating toulouse geese, temp. at 99.5, misting daily, turning an odd number of times daily, and I've kept my humidity between 45-50% and achieved accurate weight loss so far, but my question is regarding lockdown and when to stop turning. I have read several places to stop turning on day 25 and put them into lockdown and raise your humidity, I have also read that you can turn the eggs until they externally pip and then put them in lockdown and raise the humidity, I don't know which way would be best? I have two eggs that I quit turning on Day 25 and I have some more to soon follow, but for the one's that have not been turned for a couple days (now day 27), should I resume turning until they pip internally or if by me not turning for the last couple days and then resuming, would that harm them? I've also been told not to candle during lockdown, please help! I would greatly appreciate any advice!

If it was me I would leave them be and not turn anymore. I think turning is most critical the first couple of weeks when the embryo and the eggs vascular network is developing after that its mainly to help exercise the embryo. Once it's close to hatch time they get into position and usually stay there until hatch anyway.

In my own personal experience with hatching Sebastopol geese eggs I have found that all the daily misting, turning, cooling etc didn't make any difference in hatch rates compared to when I just left them be and dry incubated right along with the chicken and turkey eggs. In fact my hatch rates are better with geese eggs when I don't give them any special treatment. I dry incubate them and hand turn them 1x a day for the first couple of weeks and then when I remember after that. Once they internally pip I place them into lockdown. My humidity without adding any water runs about 25% for the duration of incubation and then I bump that up to about 65% when I lock down.

That is what works pretty good for me but I live in a coastal area so my conditions may be different than most. I also incubate using a brinsea ova cabinet so my temps are very accurate and stable.

Good luck and fingers crossed for a great hatch!
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom