Hatching my first KONZA!!!

Arielle

Crowing
8 Years
Feb 19, 2011
Massachusetts, USA
My long awaited eggs arrived today!!!!
celebrate.gif
THis thread is a chronicle of my journey.

Eggs arrived today. 29 well packed in foam and double boxed, plenty of popcorn between box 1 and 2. Several extras: chocolate and a rock.Eggs are carefully unopacked, still concerned that there was much more jiggling and rougher handling than they could handle. Set into egg cartons at 10 per carton x 3 .

Set at midnight for easier counting of days!! lol

Applying everything I know about setting and incubating shipped eggs. But still feeling the stress.
barnie.gif

Last edited:
Day 2, or is this day 1 lol . of incubation.

NO turning today. Moitoring temp, runnin g at 99 on top of the eggs, clearly need to get reading on floor of rack to get highest reading. Humidity is up today because of the rains. about 25%.

Experiemnt-- set second layer of cartons on top-- temp 97 ontop of those.

Hi, kingsfarm here, what are Konzas? have 5 three day old chicks that I tried to give to a broody sitting on eggs last night -I was holding her in a large brooder (she stopped sitting, rolled eggs out of nest, the same day) well she didn't accept them....miracle.. they must have kept each other warm in the nest (in 5 gal. bucket) because I just scooped them up this morning and brought them back into the house...doing great...will raise seperately..I want them , have 2 little OEGs and 3 EEs..I have only l EE at the moment and these are the first that have hatched here, Yay.....the OEGs are my treasure because they are always broody and that is what I want to incorporate more of in my flock. have 3 OEG hens so far ..not fancy but loving the building my flock the way that will insure a future...... some for meat, some for eggs and OEGs.....good luck again..I am following your threads...G

Hi, kingsfarm here, what are Konzas? have 5 three day old chicks that I tried to give to a broody sitting on eggs last night -I was holding her in a large brooder (she stopped sitting, rolled eggs out of nest, the same day) well she didn't accept them....miracle.. they must have kept each other warm in the nest (in 5 gal. bucket) because I just scooped them up this morning and brought them back into the house...doing great...will raise seperately..I want them , have 2 little OEGs and 3 EEs..I have only l EE at the moment and these are the first that have hatched here, Yay.....the OEGs are my treasure because they are always broody and that is what I want to incorporate more of in my flock. have 3 OEG hens so far ..not fancy but loving the building my flock the way that will insure a future...... some for meat, some for eggs and OEGs.....good luck again..I am following your threads...G

I assume the OP means Konza Prairie Rangers?

Day 4 Yes, Konxa PRarie CHickens. I have struggled to find a good meat bird. While the cornish X have their place, and are truely yummy, I was looking for another option. ANd one that was not as stressful as a bird with an SOP.

TUrning the eggs as often as I can. THe more the merrier. Just a slight tilt to the eggs, and turning by hand in the carton to reduce the stress that can be incurred if I bump the cartons, or nearly drop the cartons.

I just tried 12 SUltalers and got nada!! So trying to be ever so careful with these eggs.

Last edited:
Hey!
oh my gosh this is exciting! I'll be curious to see what they look like- it's a bit of a grab hag of breeds. I forget now, was she breeding towards a particular type, or just BIG foragers....either way this will be interesting:)
Are those Sulm eggs that failed the original eggs? That stinks.

I'll be watching the calendar and tapping my foot along with you.
M

Will be glad of the company!!

DH is out with the boys nailing together another big coop. He has just today and tomorrow morning to build the whole thing. It is for the buckeye chicks-- and it looks too small already!! Figure the Konza can live there too.

My long awaited eggs arrived today!!!!  :celebrate  THis thread is a chronicle of my journey. 

Eggs arrived today.  29 well packed in foam and double boxed, plenty of popcorn between box 1 and 2.  Several extras: chocolate and a rock.Eggser carefully unopacked, still concerned that there was much more jiggling and rougher handling than they could handle.  Set into egg cartons at 10 per carton x 3 .

Set at midnight for easier counting of days!! lol  

Applying everything I know about setting and incubating shipped eggs. But still feeling the stress. :barnie

Relax momma. Remember my turkey poults. All 7 thriving almost 2 wks old now!

Quote: LOL Kathy,, YOur hatch rate is better than mind even using my own turkey eggs!! lol

I was originally suppoed to get a number of adult stock but that didn't work out, then get a batch of chicks and that didn't work out, so I"m trying to hatch 29 eggs, of which several turned out to be chocolates not Konzas and so I am nervous as h3ll . . . . . I almost didn't set the choclates as they just complicate my life, . . but being a hatch- a holic I set them all.
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom