Having a feathered family, an emotional exercise?

Lobzi

Crowing
14 Years
May 6, 2008
San Francisco Bay Area, EB
I realized my emotions go up and down almost on a daily basis. Perhaps it is just me but Im wondering if anyone else feels this way. New hatches, either by broody hen or incubator bring such highs but any sickness or death of a bird bring on such lows. I know it is the price I pay for dealing in living things and I accept that.

Just wondering if anyone else experiences such or am I alone on the ride.

I have chickens, quail, dove and fantail pigeons. They all have their own challenges and all add to the emotional roller coaster.

My recommendation for new chicken people is think out what you want your chickens for, the way we do things with our flock would be different from someone doing them for pets of show as ours are a food source, we take measures to ensure their health and well being without medication. Each flock will be different though based on the owners train of thought and what the purpose of the birds is and the set up. If you think things through and do a little research you'll know what to expect and be prepared for just about anything because the birds will teach you a lot too. It isn't all fun and games raising animals as pets or food and you need to be able to make the decision that is best for the bird.

Ours for the most part give us unlimited comedy as they were raised by a drake the same age, so far the only thing that's caused me stress are them dang smart alec magpies and when we first took them outside we had to do a lot of supervising as we were teaching them where home was along with showing safe spots as they were being allowed to free range and there are hawks eagles and other predators and their boundries as they have the backyard, and 5 acres of pasture but didn't want them in the front yard. They will keep you on your toes that's for sure.
Ever seen a chicken fishing? when they are allowed to free range you never know what they are gonna do it's usually what ever makes them happy, but they have a boxer,farm cat. a drake and 2 roosters that watch over them.

Chickens are great they are a food source and do what is best for the flock not so much ups and downs. Some people think of them more as pets or family those are the ones that will have more issues with ups and downs, not much I can think of to help there as was raised on the farm and sickness and death is just a part of life for humans and animals we do the best we can to make it a happy life.

Last edited:
Lobzi, I am in the same boat you are. I had not had pets for many years (since I was a child) then almost 4 years ago I decided to get some chickens since we moved to the country and have plenty of land for them and no restrictions nor ordinances being in a rural area. Here I am now with 23 chickens (including one roo and 2 cockerels). I have lost several of my girls due to illness, some of them have gotten treatments and recovered and some have not survived after the treatment. Every single time one of them gets sick, I get very concerned and worry a lot because I do hate to see them suffer. It is a roller coaster and unfortunately I do not know how to get rid of this "pain" I feel every time one of my chickens is sick.I keep on thinking it will get better with time but not such thing has happened yet so you are definitely not alone, there are plenty of chicken keepers that have a huge heart for them. It might not be good but it is what it is.

I keep thinking, there must be a lesson here but you are correct, it never gets easy to lose a living thing. I keep thinking the lesson is to see that death is not that bad and certainly it is inevitable, but still that doesnt help to negate the deep sadness.
Thank you for responding and sharing. I truly does help to know Im not the only one riding the roller coaster.

I am not as tender hearted as some of you. It does make me miffed to loose one, but I do keep with the idea that it is the circle of life. For me, I enjoy the flock. I love to watch the flock. I care for the flock, and while I don't like loosing one, when I do so it is not the whole flock. Mine is constantly in flux. In the spring new ones are being added, and in the fall, some are being harvested, or some have been lost along the way.

I hate it when predators get them, but I love them out and about. I love to hatch chicks, but some don't make it.

For me, it helps not to think of them as individual birds, but more simply as birds that come to stay for a while in my flock.

MRs K
'

Mrs K yours are words of wisdom, I wish I could think of my flock as birds that come and go and I might be able to do so some time, but then when I spend time in the yard watching them, every one of them has its own personality or like somebody put it in the forum "chickenality" it is very hard no to get attached to them, therefore losing the ones you like the most is a big down

I grew up on a farm and have always had animals, the circle of life is more than just a song in the Lion King. I have seen many things born and many die, there's no stopping it, I get upset too when things die, but I like to focus on the fact that I gave mine the best life I could and if necessary a good easy death. I have watched a lot of nature shows, not many creatures get a good clean death.

Chickens in particular bring such joy to my life, they approach each day like it's the best day ever, they lift my soul up. So I say feel sad for those you lose but be happy that they had a good life and they brought happiness into yours.

Back
Top Bottom