Hello! and welcome to the OEGB thread.

That would be a spangled cockrell, same pattern as BB Red but with white spots on feather terminations. They hatch slightly different as well. The BB will have a yellowish breast and the spangled will have a white breast.

My 7 year old brother is interested in showing chickens
wee.gif
and I've been looking for a small breed for him to use for showmanship. I have the opportunity to get some OEGB chicks and as wondering about their temperaments. Are they calm, flighty, easily tame? How do they do against the cold? Would they be good for a first time showmanship bird? Thanks in advance!

My 7 year old brother is interested in showing chickens
wee.gif
and I've been looking for a small breed for him to use for showmanship. I have the opportunity to get some OEGB chicks and as wondering about their temperaments. Are they calm, flighty, easily tame? How do they do against the cold? Would they be good for a first time showmanship bird? Thanks in advance!

OE bantams often work well for youth in both cooped shows and tabletop, showmanship is also a good thing to get involved with. For your best results try to locate someone in your area that breeds and shows OE, the starter birds may cost a bit more but will be well worth the investment.
The only downfall to the OE is they are very common in shows and will require a very good bird to be very successfull.

These birds would most likely be only for showmanship unless they turn into something pretty spectacular. I already breed and show other bantam breeds, but I was hoping to find my brother his own little pet bird, just for showmanship
smile.png

That would be a spangled cockrell, same pattern as BB Red but with white spots on feather terminations. They hatch slightly different as well. The BB will have a yellowish breast and the spangled will have a white breast.

I thought they were spangled but several people told me they were BBR.
Do they look SQ, or do they have too much white? I will post more pics of them when they hit 5 weeks.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom