Help! I have a hatchling/.pushed out of nest and half hatched...

Yea technically she is a first time.mom I took her eggs last time and put them in an incubator but let her have them after they all hatched and were 2 days old. So she really hasn't done this before.. yes there are 3 eggs left.i candles them when she was off the nest and they are almost fully developed... any other suggestions? I've done exactly as miss Lydia has stated and hope it makes it.
I don't currently have ducks only chickens, but there is a current broody hen thread very similiar to yours.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...t-am-i-doing-the-right-things-so-far.1588561/

I agree that the duckling is not ready to hatch/still absorbing its egg yolk. It should kick free when it's ready, but you don't want it to do so prematurely. I would do exactly as @Miss Lydia said.

Sometimes first time broodies don't understand what is happening when their babies begin to hatch. Mother duck probably peeled off some of the shell out of curiosity and confusion. Is she a first time mom? Are there still more eggs to hatch?
I took

What breed is the mother? I have had issues with some of my mother ducks squishing hatching ducklings. Usually it is my heavier breeds. I'm not sure if it is because they step on them or start checking to see what is going on. Unfortunately when I have found them out of the nest it has been to late.

As far as your little one keep it warm and almost moist. It needs to absorb the yolk before hatching. If there are veins that you can see or the duckling is opening and closing its mouth it needs more time in the shell.

Keep an eye to see what mom does with the rest. If they are hatching fine and she is being a good mother, you can put this little one back after it fluffs up. Duck moms usually think the more the merrier (chickens usually think what are you doing in my nest)
Yes I have found the last 2 of 3 when it was too late. The other one from today , had much of its shell missing and only membrane left and was unfortunately full of ants. One prior, she squished.

She is an Ancona, Smaller for her breed.. but still Ancona. It has open and closed its mouth a few times That ive seen. What does that mean? I do see a few veins in the yolk and have been keeping it wet. not aure qhat we will do iver night. Currently its in the box in our barn eve... its open and has some air circulation and it has a small light attached.

....Yes we added 4 to her last year and every day we added 1 a day and the last day she looked at us like... what are you doing but she was content with them all....lol

Yes I have found the last 2 of 3 when it was too late. The other one from today , had much of its shell missing and only membrane left and was unfortunately full of ants. One prior, she squished.
The presence of ants is a clue to why this may be happening. I now lightly dust all my broody pens/hatching boxes with permethryn powder because I once had ants attack/kill a hatching chick and swarm all over the broody hen too. Bless that mama's heart, she was raised up off the eggs when I discovered the issue, but doing her best to continue to cover them. It is possible your duck mom removed the shell in an attempt to remove the ants, and also possible she crushed an egg because she was trying to avoid ants crawling on her. Do you think this could be happening?

The presence of ants is a clue to why this may be happening. I now lightly dust all my broody pens/hatching boxes with permethryn powder because I once had ants attack/kill a hatching chick and swarm all over the broody hen too. Bless that mama's heart, she was raised up off the eggs when I discovered the issue, but doing her best to continue to cover them. It is possible your duck mom removed the shell in an attempt to remove the ants, and also possible she crushed an egg because she was trying to avoid ants crawling on her. Do you think this could be happening?
I don't see a presence except when I was in there and I looked thru the nest to make sure there was nothing awry elsewhere. What is this stuff you are speaking of and where do I Get it.? It wouldn't be bad to have on hand or is there something else I can use?.

Can you bring the box and egg inside because there is always a chance a snake or some other predator even ants will find the duckling and that would be such a shame when it's so close to hatching. What temp is the box showing? when you say your wetting the membrane what are you using?

Update: the little one didn't make it. We had it In The box under light. I used coconut oil to keep the outer membranes from drying out. Had in laying in straw. And we noticed Its breathing was slowing.. and we had to keep nudginIt r to br e ath. Eventually. It just stopped ☹️ I'm sad to say. We didn't do anything incorrectly that we are aware of . I just think mom was so excited she got carried away and now she won't even sit on her 3 remaining eggs. I'm going to have to get an incubator today to finish them up I think. No as we had planned. I have one other female.broody maybe I can slip them in woth her? But her nest is in general population not in a secluded room. So what happens when they do hatch? I'll have to move her and them.a a ay from the large males.... yes?.. thisnhas never happened before... I've never had a female make a nest , yet outside of the pen where they usually drop eggs.. any other suggestionsnfoe our abandon eggs. They have to be just as close. Im.betting ano r her 3 days or so

I keep my broodies in with the general population but make a way for her to have privacy so the others can stress her out or get to any of the ducklings, Once the ducklings hatch and everyone is out for the day mama and ducklings get the run of the coop for their first week. Mama ducks are pretty good at keeping anyone who wants to pick on her ducklings away except predators she really can't protect them against snakes etc. So I IMG_2085.jpeg spend their first 4-5 weeks outside to keep watch. She is kept with the Muscovy as the Runners have to be separated to keep my Runner drake from harassing the Muscovy females. Very sorry you lost the little one. :(

Back
Top Bottom