Help! I have a hatchling/.pushed out of nest and half hatched...

Well all this is where we have made it!!! Wow he/shw pushed out today but seems still attached to the egg as suspected... I assume not done absorbing yet? Peeping.. and moving around a bit. Any advice.. looks frustrating that they can't get out of the shell. But I am assuming it's needed....

16887671574199126624534262625.jpg 16887671574199126624534262625.jpg

Well all this is where we have made it!!! Wow he/shw pushed out today but seems still attached to the egg as suspected... I assume not done absorbing yet? Peeping.. and moving around a bit. Any advice.. looks frustrating that they can't get out of the shell. But I am assuming it's needed....

View attachment 3569605View attachment 3569605
I myself would have gotten off of the straw and put it on a clean paper towel to keep the straw from possibly poking a hole in the yolk sac. That's just me though. That is what mine was on and it eventually absorbed all of the yolk sac and was just fine. I pray this little one makes it alright.

How is the duckling this morning? yolk all the way absorbed?
I had him in his lower part of the shell until the yolk was absorbed. He/she kicked it off this morning. It now has a friend in an egg still... mom pulled more shell off and I wasn't going to take the chance...

So @Miss Lydia @Luv Ducks , I have a question. I've never had this situation before. I have them inside with a general heat lamp on them. Will this be too sufficient, meaning for both... enough or too much for the egg and the little one ? I have a smaller lamp that is only a 72 watt bulb not sure that will be warm enough for both of them. This is he first time the little one really sprawled out to sleep.

my house is very cool we keep it at 69 , if that is your next question. They are away from the air vents. But I know If they get hot they move away from the heat... I was thinking to be safe I'd use the smaller lamp and move it safely closer... and I put in pine shavings for bedding as normal...
20230708_213633.jpg 20230708_213624.jpg

Last edited:
I had him in his lower part of the shell until the yolk was absorbed. He/she kicked it off this morning. It now has a friend in an egg still... mom pulled more shell off and I wasn't going to take the chance...

So @Miss Lydia @Luv Ducks , I have a question. I've never had this situation before. I have them inside with a general heat lamp on them. Will this be too sufficient, meaning for both... enough or too much for the egg and the little one ? I have a smaller lamp that is only a 72 watt bulb not sure that will be warm enough for both of them. This is he first time the little one really sprawled out to sleep.

my house is very cool we keep it at 69 , if that is your next question. They are away from the air vents. But I know If they get hot they move away from the heat... I was thinking to be safe I'd use the smaller lamp and move it safely closer... and I put in pine shavings for bedding as normal...
View attachment 3571000I

View attachment 3571000View attachment 3571001
I have only a 40 watt bulb that I use on a clamp on reading lamp that is close to my ducklings but not where they can touch it. That has always worked for me in a brooder. I also keep a towel over the top of my tote though covering all but maybe a few inches to keep the heat in. I have strong plastic netting covering the top and that supports my towel. I never wanted mine to get too hot and ducklings don't seem to need as much heat as baby chicks do. By a week old mine stayed mostly away from the heat source and some I have actually kept in the garage at 3 days old with no heat during the summer. Our garage is attached to our house with no chance of anything getting to them. Your baby is darling and good luck with your second one.

Back
Top Bottom