Help! I have a hatchling/.pushed out of nest and half hatched...

I had him in his lower part of the shell until the yolk was absorbed. He/she kicked it off this morning. It now has a friend in an egg still... mom pulled more shell off and I wasn't going to take the chance...

So @Miss Lydia @Luv Ducks , I have a question. I've never had this situation before. I have them inside with a general heat lamp on them. Will this be too sufficient, meaning for both... enough or too much for the egg and the little one ? I have a smaller lamp that is only a 72 watt bulb not sure that will be warm enough for both of them. This is he first time the little one really sprawled out to sleep.

my house is very cool we keep it at 69 , if that is your next question. They are away from the air vents. But I know If they get hot they move away from the heat... I was thinking to be safe I'd use the smaller lamp and move it safely closer... and I put in pine shavings for bedding as normal...
View attachment 3571000View attachment 3571001
I also use the big flakes of pine shavings so that they don't eat them. Yours look to be pretty fine from the picture. I have lately been using puppy pads that I get from a big discount store here called Sam's Club. You can get 150 of them for only 20 some dollars and those work well. I changed them constantly and went through a lot of them but no worry about them eating shavings.

I had him in his lower part of the shell until the yolk was absorbed. He/she kicked it off this morning. It now has a friend in an egg still... mom pulled more shell off and I wasn't going to take the chance...

So @Miss Lydia @Luv Ducks , I have a question. I've never had this situation before. I have them inside with a general heat lamp on them. Will this be too sufficient, meaning for both... enough or too much for the egg and the little one ? I have a smaller lamp that is only a 72 watt bulb not sure that will be warm enough for both of them. This is he first time the little one really sprawled out to sleep.

my house is very cool we keep it at 69 , if that is your next question. They are away from the air vents. But I know If they get hot they move away from the heat... I was thinking to be safe I'd use the smaller lamp and move it safely closer... and I put in pine shavings for bedding as normal...
View attachment 3571000View attachment 3571001
I think since you do not have the unhatched one in a incubator I would leave the bigger heat source on until it hatches and dries out all of the way. It might have trouble hatching if not enough heat and get chilled being wet when it comes out. Good luck.

Weare hatched
Since I place dit with the other we pushed our way out this morning. thank ffor all the tips. I'll keep you posted ed on our final egg. Once it has hatched hpefuly.by mom IL retuen these to her and place them on their own room for some time.. 20230709_113145.jpg

Weare hatched
Since I place dit with the other we pushed our way out this morning. thank ffor all the tips. I'll keep you posted ed on our final egg. Once it has hatched hpefuly.by mom IL retuen these to her and place them on their own room for some time..View attachment 3571569
You are most welcome and I would be sure to keep a close eye on Mom to make sure she takes good care of them. Such little Cutie Pies!!!

Back
Top Bottom