Help! I have a hatchling/.pushed out of nest and half hatched...

I keep my broodies in with the general population but make a way for her to have privacy so the others can stress her out or get to any of the ducklings, Once the ducklings hatch and everyone is out for the day mama and ducklings get the run of the coop for their first week. Mama ducks are pretty good at keeping anyone who wants to pick on her ducklings away except predators she really can't protect them against snakes etc. So I View attachment 3567936spend their first 4-5 weeks outside to keep watch. She is kept with the Muscovy as the Runners have to be separated to keep my Runner drake from harassing the Muscovy females. Very sorry you lost the little one. :(
Thank you I appreciate all the info. Is the coconut oil ok to use... we have another today that she's done this with....this one seems to be doing ok so far.i am wondering if the light was too much for the other one yesterday? It was already 90 and then u have to factor in humidity so that about 98.
To day its 90.. with humidity feels like 96

Attachments

• 16886708029855234106381658109275.jpg
    16886708029855234106381658109275.jpg
    464.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Thank you I appreciate all the info. Is the coconut oil ok to use... we have another today that she's done this with....this one seems to be doing ok so far.i am wondering if the light was too much for the other one yesterday? It was already 90 and then u have to factor in humidity so that about 98.
To day its 90.. with humidity feels like 96
With that amount of heat you will not need any artificial source. I would think that the coconut oil is ok, just be sure not to get any in their mouth or nares. Good luck with this little one and so sorry you lost your other one.

With that amount of heat you will not need any artificial source. I would think that the coconut oil is ok, just be sure not to get any in their mouth or nares. Good luck with this little one and so sorry you lost your other one.
Thank-you yes. Being very careful. When I bring it inside this evening we will be using a lamp. It is a small heat lamp with a 75 watt bulb. I will not have it directly on the little one but close. Our house is pretty chilly we keep it at 69... so , i Know it will be needed. Seeing as out house ia not very humid I am wondering should I put the container , in The video in the box and aim the light at it for some humidity?

Is there a point since he's been out of the shell for a while , that i should possibly I've a drop or two of water..or wait until he /she attempts to push out and possibly gets stuck due to mom shrink wrapping the poor thing?

I have attached a small video for you all to critique my work. Thanks. @Luv Ducks @Miss Lydia @DuckyDonna @Yardmom

Last edited:
Thank-you yes. Being very careful. When I bring it inside this evening we will be using a lamp. It is a small heat lamp with a 75 watt bulb. I will not have it directly on the little one but close. Our house is pretty chilly we keep it at 69... so , i Know it will be needed. Seeing as out house ia not very humid I am wondering should I put the container , in The video in the box and aim the light at it for some humidity?

Is there a point since he's been out of the shell for a while , that i should possibly I've a drop or two of water..or wait until he /she attempts to push out and possibly gets stuck due to mom shrink wrapping the poor thing?

I have attached a small video for you all to critique my work. Thanks. @Luv Ducks @Miss Lydia @DuckyDonna @Yardmom
Is the duckling all the way out of the shell yet???? We cannot see a video.

When I've assisted before I've had to give a drop of water at the end of the beak. But that's after they've been stuck over 24 hours inside the shell.. sorry it didnt attach... here it is

No amd I have done nothing but put coconut oil on the exposed membrane and placed it on the straw.... the water was for something else. But gave me the idea if humidity in the house

I think it's best to wait till the duckling has hatched and recuperated before offering water. Remember hatcheries ship and it can take 2-3 days for shipment to arrive. Its better not to take a chance on the duckling aspirating. Is the duckling making any attempt at breaking out? Maybe still absorbing the yolk.

I think it's best to wait till the duckling has hatched and recuperated before offering water. Remember hatcheries ship and it can take 2-3 days for shipment to arrive. Its better not to take a chance on the duckling aspirating. Is the duckling making any attempt at breaking out? Maybe still absorbing the yolk.
I totally agree. It can live off of that yolk sac for 2 to 3 days with no problems at all and will not need anything while trying to hatch out. Also once it is out make sure it does not jump into that water and get chilled. It's amazing how lively they can be soon out of the shell. Good luck with this little one.

I bwlive still absorbing the yolk and hasn't made any attempts as of yet. Breathing heavily

Back
Top Bottom