Help! I have a hatchling/.pushed out of nest and half hatched...

dlschnars

Chirping
Apr 14, 2022
I have a duck egg trying to hatch. Mom pushed it out of the nest. There was another she smushed. So I removed it. But should i.put this one back?. It's partially hatched not making.noise but is breathing and a little dry so I wet the membranes... what.do I do. Should I put back into the nest. I do not currently have an incubator ... help @BirdsBeesTrees @CoriM @Miss Lydia @WVduckchick

Last edited:
I have a duck egg trying to hatch. Mom pushed it out of the nest. There was another she smushed. So I removed it. But should i.put this one back?. It's partially hatched not making.noise but is breathing and a little dry so I wet the membranes... what.do I do. Should I put back into the nest. I do not currently have an incubator ... help

@Miss Lydia @WVduckchick @Backyard bird momma

I think I would put it under a 40 watt light bulb in a styrofoam cooler. I have done that before to let them finish hatching. I would be hesitant to let Mom have it back. Some ducks are not good Moms. The choice is yours. People have also used heating pads to finish the hatch. Good luck.

I think I would put it under a 40 watt light bulb in a styrofoam cooler. I have done that before to let them finish hatching. I would be hesitant to let Mom have it back. Some ducks are not good Moms. The choice is yours. People have also used heating pads to finish the hatch. Good luck.

We don't do Styrofoam of any kind ... so I dont have that available. I do have a heat lamp. But its already 90 here with humididty...in NC.... do we have any other suggestions? I have a gray bucket ? cardboard box? Clear rubbermiad. Not sure what to do. I'm keeping it wet but doesn't seem.at all interested in getting out. We keep out house pretty cold so keeping it Inside might not be a good idea. Unless I use the heat lamp that we use after they've been born...

I may not be ready to hatch you will need to keep it warm and the membrane moist so it doesn’t dry out. Place it in a box with your heat lamp. Put a thermonitor in there so you know your temps. We need an experienced Hatcher my Muscovy hatch for me.
@DuckyDonna @New duck mommy 2021
@cheezenkwackers

In trying to figure out what happened to the poor thing. why was part of its shell missing... her nest is inside their closed p8wn... at least at night it is. But I'm wondering did something get in? I dont see any burrowing or digging? And the other seemed like the outer shell was missing and membrane only present? Which would make.it easy to smush poor thing.... she's off her mest now that I've removed this little one and doesn't seem to want to go back since I shooed her out. Should I put it back? And let mother nature so it's thing? Or should I intervene?

I don't currently have ducks only chickens, but there is a current broody hen thread very similiar to yours.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...t-am-i-doing-the-right-things-so-far.1588561/

I agree that the duckling is not ready to hatch/still absorbing its egg yolk. It should kick free when it's ready, but you don't want it to do so prematurely. I would do exactly as @Miss Lydia said.

Sometimes first time broodies don't understand what is happening when their babies begin to hatch. Mother duck probably peeled off some of the shell out of curiosity and confusion. Is she a first time mom? Are there still more eggs to hatch?

What breed is the mother? I have had issues with some of my mother ducks squishing hatching ducklings. Usually it is my heavier breeds. I'm not sure if it is because they step on them or start checking to see what is going on. Unfortunately when I have found them out of the nest it has been to late.

As far as your little one keep it warm and almost moist. It needs to absorb the yolk before hatching. If there are veins that you can see or the duckling is opening and closing its mouth it needs more time in the shell.

Keep an eye to see what mom does with the rest. If they are hatching fine and she is being a good mother, you can put this little one back after it fluffs up. Duck moms usually think the more the merrier (chickens usually think what are you doing in my nest)

Back
Top Bottom