Help!!! LIKE NOW!!!

I hate to suggest it, but a necropsy could help pinpoint the issue. It could be helpful if any of your chickens exhibit similar behavior later.

Set some traps and make sure that you pick up food everyday and put it away as the rats will eat it and fowl it. It's a reason to keep them coming back if not.
You can use poison too if your birds are penned and can't get to it. I put the blocks of poison on wires and attach them to pegs and feed them into their holes.

I wouldn't poison anything if there are dogs or cats in the vicinity. A dying rat can run pretty far, and anything that eats it will be poisoned. But, tons of traps work and removing their food source (be careful though, they will also chew on roosting chickens) will help as well.
I only feed twice a day and they usually eat it all. Nothing is left out for rats/mice to get at night.

Poison in the uk is now very regulated and we are no longer able to get the stuff that would poison something that ate the rat etc. I don't know what you have available but our stuff to be honest is pretty weak unless you are a larger concern.
I leave traps out all year as I've found rats to be suspicious of anything new and use mainly chocolate and peanut butter as bait.

I should also mention weils disease which can be caught through contaminated water from rats urine.
Be in the safe side and wear gloves.

Best wishes x

Poison in the uk is now very regulated and we are no longer able to get the stuff that would poison something that ate the rat etc. I don't know what you have available but our stuff to be honest is pretty weak unless you are a larger concern.
I leave traps out all year as I've found rats to be suspicious of anything new and use mainly chocolate and peanut butter as bait.

I should also mention weils disease which can be caught through contaminated water from rats urine.
Be in the safe side and wear gloves.

Best wishes x

Sorry to hijack
Where in Yorkshire are you from?
I've recently moved to cornwall from holmfirth, Huddersfield

Back
Top Bottom