HELP

Two eggs this morning when I let them out so I really don't think that it is stress. I have not checked for mites. You're going to have to explain how to do that because I haven't the slightest clue. They both drink and swim out of their pool, is it safe to add the vitamins to that source of water?

This is where they roam for the day until it gets time to come inside at night.
My goodness what a pretty place. I would put vitamins in their drinking water not pool water. And if they have access to pool water daily I doubt very seriously they have mites and I said they because it usually includes the whole flock when you get a mite infestation. To look for mites though part feathers and look at their skin mites are teeny tiny little specks like pepper they crawl they can get on us but don't bite us but they do bite poultry and can make them anemic. I have had mites get on my chickens but never my ducks and they live in the same building as my chickens with only a wall and door with chicken wire to separate at night. So I don't think it's mites here you need to be worried about.More than likely what your seeing is an itch that escalated and using Blue Kote will help it heal and distract her from chewing hopefully. Where do they sleep at night? you said bringing them in? What type of bedding Lice can come in with straw they like to get in the hollow stems, so look at base of feathers for clumps of white build up. I really doubt you have either of these parasites though.

I hope you can see this link it has info and pics of what to look for with mites and lice.
http://anrcatalog.ucanr.edu/pdf/8162.pdf

Last edited:
They lay their eggs on wood chips from TSC. When I first purchased them that's what they were on. I just kept getting it for them as I raised them and they love it. They don't sleep on it they just nest and lay on it. I change the chips out depending on how messy they make it. Normally they keep it clean. The current chips they're laying on is a brand new bag. This evening I'm going to TSC and getting vitamins and the spray. What kind of vitamins do you recommend?

They lay their eggs on wood chips from TSC. When I first purchased them that's what they were on. I just kept getting it for them as I raised them and they love it. They don't sleep on it they just nest and lay on it. I change the chips out depending on how messy they make it. Normally they keep it clean. The current chips they're laying on is a brand new bag. This evening I'm going to TSC and getting vitamins and the spray. What kind of vitamins do you recommend?
I like Poultry Nutri Drench they carry them and also they have other poultry vitamins not sure of the names though.

Alright, thank you very much for the help.
frow.gif

She keeps trying to preen where I put that stuff, it's getting purple stuff all over her beak. Is it okay until it dries for her to mess with it? She's consuming some of it I'm sure.

She keeps trying to preen where I put that stuff, it's getting purple stuff all over her beak. Is it okay until it dries for her to mess with it? She's consuming some of it I'm sure.

where do you have her? if you can place a towel over her till it dries that would probably be best. It won't hurt for it to be on her bill but I wouldn't think it would be good for her to eat. Can you hold her with a towel over her would she let you.

She has stopped now, laying down sleeping. It's on her back in two spots right below her wings.
Hopefully she'll leave it alone now and some healing can begin. sounds like she has been working both sides. Who knows why animals do things like this, a behavior become obsessive. I'd keep her out of water for a few days to give the Blue kote time to work.

This evening when I get home I will remove their pool and spray more on her. She has been picking at both sides. I also plan on adding additional oyster shell to give more calcium to aid in her plumage re-growth. She was okay this morning her normal self so hopefully I caught it and will be able to be the duck doctor. I gave them BOTH vitamin water so Pepper can begin getting the good stuff too.

Back
Top Bottom