hen with red bottom area....very graphic pics

Freebie

Songster
12 Years
Feb 4, 2007
Bloomingdale, MI
I need to know what to do. I found her like this, this afternoon. She was eating normal and had she not turned around, I would have never noticed. She is otherwise acting normal. Does seem to sound like she has some kind of respiratory thing going on now when I was holding her. No discharge from her nose or eyes.

Oh she is about 5 months old and just started laying about 2 weeks ago. She is a Golden Comet. My husband wants to cull her. I am not so sure.

354_dscf4107.jpg

I am willing to treat at home, with meds, but will not be taking her to the vet.

Thanks you
Denise

edited to add a better picture.

354_dscf4109.jpg

Last edited:
Can you lift her tail and see if that is coming OUT of her? Chickens don't have butt cheeks like we do but that sure looks like REALLY red butt cheeks. That has GOT to be her insides coming out. Doesn't it?

I just took a reeealllyy close look and I do think it is a prolapse. I compared her to another hen I got at the same time as her. So, now my plan is to bring her in the house, clean her up and dry her off. Push it back in and apply some prep H. Then I will leave her in a clean cage in the garage covered up so hopefully she will not lay any more eggs till she gets better. Does that sound right?

Now, my next question is, is this going to be a continous problem? Probably a wait and see if it happens again. ok, I am getting ready for this now. I know it is not surgery, but I am not a vet and it kinda is freaking me out. Wish me luck everyone.

and thanks for you replies.
Denise

Well, so far so good. I just did a quick search on here to make sure. Then I called the vet next door, she came over for a quick look and told me how they take care of prolapse rectums and such in other animals. I honestly did not think the sugar was true, but she told me to use sugar before the prep H. So, now the hen is resting comfortably in the garage in a cat crate. I will check her in the morning and see how she is looking. I did put her on a towel instead of regular bedding and I have antibiotics in her water. The vet said that they sometimes have to put a stict or two in the dogs and other animals to get it to stay. So, I was thinking if it comes back, I will see if she will throw a couple of stitches in her. I just hope it does not happen again. My daughter and husband really did all the work. I just held my hen.

thanks everyone, I think I am going to bed now.

Back
Top Bottom