hen wounded, can't get rid of the maggots

Your welcome - it is a good feeling to help another. I hope she continues to recover.
smile.png
hugs.gif

Sammi update:

No news is good news, I hope. She seems stable, no major changes the last couple of days. She still eating good but still not able to stand much or get around very well. She hobbles and her right wing droops. She'll stand while eating for a minute or so and then settle back down to finish. Hopefully, as she heals, she'll get stronger and be able to move about more normally. I can't believe it's been a week since she showed up after her attack.

She had four days of antibiotics (penicillin), which is what the bottle says to not exceed. I hope that's enough to be effective. does anyone know if she should, in a few days, get more if she isn't improving? Or should we consider her done with antibiotics?

ChicksOnBikes; how is Rachel? what did you decide about the vet?

Thanks for asking!

Sammi is improving, albeit a bit slowly. She did one round of antibiotics, and is eating well, with the probiotics sprinkled on. Her skin on her bum has healed and is starting a few feathers, under her wing the open wound is still there but it is shrinking as the skin redevelops. We are keeping it slathered with triple antibiotic ointment.

We definitely think something was injured/broken internally as she still limps and uses her wings to steady herself. She is still living in a pet carrier in our laundry room, and she actually seems to like to be in the carrier, she must feel safe. We have put her in a small area blocked off and lined with paper so she can move around but she tends to huddle in a corner, beak to the corner like she's in disgrace or something:)

But she is perkier, and greets us when we come in the room.

We might do another round of antibiotics but I'm thinking we should wait to see if she has any signs of needing it. I'm hoping it won't take too much longer for the skin to heal, she's as greasy as teenager and could really use a dust bath:D

O well that is so good to hear. I was so afraid you were going to say,,,well,,,,,
I am glad to hear she is on the mend. It will take a while for her to heal. Maybe you could look into a hen saddle for her so when she is introduced to her buddys they wont be able to hurt any softer spots on her back till she fully recovers.

I hope the internal stuff gets better. Boy she is a trooper huh? She made it away from that aweful critter and is hanging in there through treatmant.

A hen saddle!!
lol.png
I've seen the ads for those, I'll have to see if our feed store has them, they probably do, they seem to have everything. My girls naively think the other chickens would never do anything to hurt her. I'll try to let them stay innocent of what chickens can be capable of.

She is one spoiled little girl, but her tameness and gentleness makes it worth it (not that I ever want to do this again!!!
sickbyc.gif
)

We have tightened up chicken security and call our chickens about every half hour from our deck so they are better at sticking close to our house and hopefully safer. We knew there were risks with free-ranging, we just didn't know what that would look like (it's decidedly gross at times).

Quick Sammi update:

She seems to be doing well. Skin on her rear has healed and she is getting new feathers. Apparently that feels itchy and sensitive. she preens at that area and doesn't seem to like it if we touch that new skin when trying to put ointment on her still open wound.

It's been over 3 weeks since she was injured and that is still open. it's an oval about 2x3 inches (about the size of my computer mouse). The skin around it is healing but it is just staying open so far, with muscle exposed. We are keeping it slathered with ointment. Hopefully, we will soon notice the "hole" getting smaller.

She's getting more physically active, so we need to arrange a bigger space for her than the pet carrier. She preens her wings and feathers a lot and I'm guessing she would love to have a dust bath to get rid of all the greasiness from the ointment, poor girl!

Sounds good . The skin around the edges should be gradually growing back.

A scary thought just popped in my head, I hope she isnt eating too much of the grease. That probably wouldnt be too good. Sounds like she is feeling much much better.

can you pull the edges of the skin together.. now that you've got the wound clean and anitbiotics threw.. might get some skin glue from you vetr..( Cheap, but a have to have in your first aid box) go ahead and glue ti closed to help the skin knit back together. you know you've got one heck of a spoiled hen now. Might be hard getting the flock to accept her back? oh do you have a dog exercise pen or even a old playpen for infants. so that she can come out of her box and get a bit more exercise but at small intervals..

conitnued good luck

)O(
Pink

It will gradually grow together on its own. I had a bird with a similar injury and while it took time, it did close on its own. A year later you would never have known. Sutures need to be done in a pretty short timeframe if they are to be done. And closing a wound with the potential of infection that this one had would have been a very bad idea.

Back
Top Bottom