hens or roosters?

On close inspection of your pics I see a tiny redenning of comb and wattles. Which can be normal for hens at a certain age to start growing. What age/breed is beans? My roo at 3 weeks had a much larger redder comb and wattles but it may vary by breed.

Beans is almost 2 months old!

Ah ok. Well I think you have a hen.

^This is a rooster at 2 1/2 weeks

This is a hen at 2 months.
Your beans definitely has the comb and wattles of a hen especially your first picture where the comb is still yellow.it's normal for them to start to redden and grow a bit at this age. I shared a YouTube link a few posts back on determining hens or roos if you would like to check it out it may help more.

Oh I would be so so so happy if I didn't have to re home my beans! She has a way bigger comb than my other hens and I noticed she was starting to get those red little wattles. Her posture doesn't matter? She stands up very tall, has thicker legs. How old until you would start to see the like claw thing on the roosters? Haha sorry I'm very new to chickens!

I actually just watched that video! Haha it seems that roosters comb and wattles are dark red by this age, and even larger. She just acts so different!

Ah I see. Yes those would be warning signs of a rooster. Unless beans is a different breed from your other birds. The pictures didn't seem very rooster like for a 2 month bird but you could have a late bloomer. I've been dealing with sexing my own mix breeds which we have started to get the hang of. The spurs start later. Much later. My roo is over a year and his are almost half an inch. They start at about 6 months and grow really really slow. We tell mostly by the face. By 3 weeks most boys have a huge bright red comb and floppy red wattles. Even younger you can see the growth of wattles. I have one that started at 1 week. Your first picture where the comb is still yellow/ pinkish would be a giveaway for a hen. I saw the wattles which for a younger bird would be a definite roo. But thicker legs like much thicker would be a rooster. Not having a hen to compare to I didn't see the thick legs. I would check bean's tail feathers. If beans is a boy it would definitely show there. Use the birds you know are hens as a comparison. Hens tails are pretty straight well defined feathers. Roosters start growing the fancy feathers that usually start curving or end kinda pointy. The secondary feathers are a good pointer too. You can also tell from attitude. If beans is dominating the other birds like jumping at them or pecking the tops of their heads this is a good indicator.

Hmmm well I would wait and see. It looks like the the first set of tail feathers. The points I see at the ends are likely where the tail started growing when beans was a tiny chick. They do look slightly curly though. What breed is beans? Or what cross?

Back
Top Bottom