Histoplasmosis !!! Please read !!! Important for all !!

Been raising chickens all my life and never wore a mask. Guess it might have killed off some of my friends but they was in their eighties and ninetys. I suppose they never knew they had Histoplasmosis.

Quote:
Since you can have it and not know it, it's still something to consider. I would recommend precautionary measures since it can cause blindess and even be fatal.

One of the mods had a friend who became ill with it.

I personally knew a man who after 4 months and a hospitalization and 75,000 dollars worth of medical bills managed to recover and he just cleaned a friends coop one time. He didn't even have chickens.

Mary

Thanks Mrs Mary for all the great info!

I am freaked out about it because we (I0, had that bird in the house for quarantine!!! It started with gasping/labored breathing...and since I have dry & I think wet pox, I thought it was just wet pox...until I felt the fever and the oozy eye and the bubbles...

I took her outside within seconds of reading your posts and culled her shortly after. Disposing of the body where nothing else can get it.
I also went ahead and culled another girl who was in the coop who was starting to gasp breath and she felt warm...gone.

We don't have an avian vet close...I would love to know for sure since the disease isn't common here...better safe than sorry though!!

Thanks a ton!! My chickens have to get to know momma looking like an alien and petting them with gloves on
smile.png
, but that's ok too!!

Have a blessed day!!

Kim

In some areas of the country it is present in the soil.

BUT, if you are working near bird or bat droppings it is always present.

That's why it's so important for THIS forum.

Chickens can get it too......which is why ventilation is paramount.

Mary

Morning
smile.png

The coop is VERY well ventilated. We have N, S, & W windows and a 4in to 1/2 in vent at between the top of the wall and the roof...

I have never heard of it down here...and my 1700 sq ft garden is within feet of the coop...no problems so far.

I have done some reading and am only 50% sure that is what was wrong with the girl yesterday, only symptom really, was bubbly eye and fever...still not wanting to take any risks.

I am building a quarantine cage in one of the barns today so I can put any sickies in there and watch them.

Question: should I be dumping the water bowl outside everyday??

I add a new thin layer of hay about every day, and it doesn't seem damp in there, but I am thinking any water or moisture could be bad for any fungus...

Thanks a bunch

Kim

Not sure what the symptoms would be in a chicken who had it.

I just make sure I wear a mask and safety glasses and gloves when I clean the coop.

It gets airborne when the droppings get stirred up.

Otherwise, to just go in and get eggs or fill feeders, I don't worry about it.

Thank you all for bringing this to our attention and sharing your problems with us. Its interesting as I do have a compromised immune system from arthritis medications, this is not something we need to play "chicken" with. Those that wish to do as they have done, do so, but I will heed this advice and share it with a few other people that are in my life that have health issues, lung issues that have no cause.
Kel
ps- glad you are mending well!

Chicken Woman sorry to hear you got sick but glad to hear you seem to be on the mend.

I just wanted to mention that a mask is a good idea for everyone cleaning anything dusty as dust it's self can bring on respiratory problems.

Histoplasmosis is relatively uncommon in poultry if you look at the disease worldwide, but it is common to poultry in some areas of the US. Still those of us in other areas need the mask protection just for the dust which can do as much damage! The mask you want should be rated N-95 which is an international standard for the level of particulate that it will filter out.

So google this for sure and find information on Histoplasmosis for your area. Here in BC my Histoplasmosis risk is from bats, the native population here all has it so cleaning up after them is my risk.

Be safe.

Back
Top Bottom