Histoplasmosis !!! Please read !!! Important for all !!

3M 8000 is pretty cheap and meets the standard: .3 micron (histo ~2 micron). If you aren't sporting a beard it would work fine.

http://www.allergybegone.com/3m-8000-respirator-mask.html

Avoiding the dust (breathing any concentrated amounts of particulates) is definitely the most useful purpose of face masks.

If decreasing the chances of disease transmission is the primary goal, and you are thinking like an actuary, then I'd suggest wearing your masks to Wal Mart, in the airport, and to school (much higher exposure to disease vectors than elsewhere).

Regarding the question about histo and eyes, I want to relate how important it is to protect your eyes.

We sometimes forget that the eye can "catch" germs sometimes faster than our skin can. This is why eye protection is worn in labs. You don't want dust or splash to get in your eyes. There have been lab workers who died from a splash of "stuff" thrown by monkeys, that splashed in the worker's eyes. The germ spread rapidly through the worker's body via the eye.

Eyes are important for more reasons than one.

And watch those splashes!

Quote:
You know, while I was reading this I was thinking about the eyes as a highway for any virus, bacteria and general goop. A lot of times the simple but frustrating common cold is passed from door knob to eye and then its off to make us extremely miserable.
Yes, we can pick up more out of any store, especially in the winter! Wash those hands, if you or your kids are sick, try to stay home. This has been a very interesting article!!

Oh dear, I was cleaning out a REALLY dusty chicken coop about a month ago. I had a mask on, but couldn't breathe very well with it -- had my glasses fogging up, etc., so I just took the mask off and breathed the dust, knowing it wasn't a very good idea.
BUT I didnt' get sick! I guess I'm just lucky.
I've also gardened for years without gloves and cleaned a lot of horse stalls -- does the fungus grow on horse manure?

Morning all

Hey, does anybody have any pictures of a "bubbly" eye on a CRD bird????

We have fowl pox. Mostly dry, I believe some wet...

and then there are a couple that have what seems to be a cold. Their nose is running, and their eye (usually only one) is crusty.

The couple I have quarentined, they bubble...and I freaked and culled.

So, Sat, I culled the bird I had been babying for 3 days. and also culled one that was "gasping"...

Now I have one in the cage and I saw a bubble come out of her eye...could this just be from the runny nose???

I have one more out in the coop starting to gasp.

Should I just cull (before I go to work) or let the one in the coop ride till this evening???

I am getting tired of culling...and mostly loosing my birds...this is gertting old...one or two every couple days...

It seems to be only the cornish X Rocks...the barred rocks are all fine, just a tad of dry pox...

PLEASE ADVISE!!!

Kim

Back
Top Bottom